12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

How Do I Advance My Timing

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How Do I Advance My Timing

Hey guys i was looking to advance my timing to 17* but i was wanting to do it my self just wanting to know if anyone has done it before or if they can give some good tips and advice on it.. thanks
P.s. do i need any special tools to do this thanks

Old 02-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get the tools and do it right and be exact on your degrees timing. We advanced the timing on a friends truck without the tools and took a little bit to get it right. We pinned the pump and motor first to get our starting point(didn't know if it had been chaged before). The we unpinned the motore and pump and pulle the gear off the pump. We then turned the motor backwards about 1/2 inch going by the harmonic balancer. Loacked everything down and torqued the **** out of the pump gear to keep it from turning. (Had one spin on the pump one time and thought we had it tight enough but didn't) That was a little better but still not good. Turned it again and test drove. Ended up turning the motor back about 1 1/2 inches before it run the best. Don't know haw many degrees it is running but it will **** *** and light a 76mm turbo about 1600 rpm now.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:04 PM
BRE
Diesel Wrench
Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Your problem with the timing slipping wasnt the fact that it wasnt tight enough. It was that the shaft was not clean. The factory spec of 144lbs has always worked for me. Continuing to over torque the gear to far and the threads on the pump shaft will say bye bye. You do need some tools to do it the way i do it. They can be purchased from snap on for a bout 200 or 250 i cant remember how much i payed for mine. There is also people that have dont the math and know how much to move it by just the balancer, then there is also the drip rate method which i know nothing about.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there is a how to do already here if you look. just dont guess you will be doing a head gasket if you do. you can pin time without special tools, but only to factory specs. look for back posts on timming a 12 valve.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Diesel Fan

ok thanks guys but i dont get it when u guys talk about pin timeing or pinnin it??? but so real you just remove the timeing cover and losin the timming gear and according to the specs u just have to move the gear one way or the other to change the time and i know its harder than that but thats just the jist of it right

Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Uh, no - you need special tools and some know-how. Do not attempt it without either of these things.

Snap-on SP500 are the tools you need. Doesnt have to be Snap-on but you need those items for sure.

SP500, Set, Diesel Timing Gauge

Old 02-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Diesel Fan

Yes i know that im buying the tool i eas just putting it lightly

Old 02-15-2011, 12:10 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

There is a way to do it - but I would not personally try it.

Here is a how-to: TSB 18-10-94 Rev. A

You ca get away without the barring tool by rotating the engine backwards using the alternator pulley. Also, if you have not tackled your Killer Dowel Pin, now is a very good time to do it because your timing cover will be off.

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 02-15-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:12 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skeet615
ok thanks guys but i dont get it when u guys talk about pin timeing or pinnin it??? but so real you just remove the timeing cover and losin the timming gear and according to the specs u just have to move the gear one way or the other to change the time and i know its harder than that but thats just the jist of it right
do your reserch! you dont have to remove timing cover. and you can do in 40 minutes if you are very good with hands and tools. i got advice from others on 1-16-11 but you may have to go other site to get the download. but i dont recomend you trying if you dont like to get dirty and love to spend time figuring out how it works.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Diesel Fan

no i always do my own work on my trucks but i just like to ask people who have done it first just to see if they have an easyier or better way of doing it. and thanks guys alot as soon as it warms up ill be doing it thanks a bunch

Quick Reply: How Do I Advance My Timing