12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

power steering and abs light?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering and abs light?

Hey all, I am new to this forum and I am trying to fix my bosses truck. I really have no exp. working on diesels and this vacum pump/power steering pump thing seems very stupid to me. I know this has been covered before and I have used the "search" but, I can't find an answer or a resolution. I need to be able to pin point the problem cause I have already spent my bosses money on a new power steering pump and the problem has not been fixed. So here it goes - Parked the truck came back in on Mon. and the power steering fluid was all over the floor of the garage and even after filling it up the truck would still not turn and the abs light was on. Narrowed it down to the fluid coming out of the cap. Pulled the steering gear and the vac. pump/power steering pump assembally. Found the steering gear to have smooth operation all the way through the turn. (manually turning by the pitman arm) The power steering pump seemed to be the logical culprit. Replaced the power steering pump and the problem still exists. Will not turn and the abs light comes on. Actually the light will not be on and then when I pump the brakes a couple times the light comes on and off and the brake is quite hard at the pedal. When I turn the truck off, and can hear a hissing around the master cylinder somewhere. And while running there is a squeek that seems to be coming from around the vac. pump/power steering pump. Is it possible I put the pressure hose on backwards? Is there a definate answer to this or do I have to tell the boss I spent two days working on his truck and it is still broke? Any and all help/ideas would be appreciated. This thing has been driving me crazy. What sense does it make that if the steering goes out, the brakes will too. Seems like a stupid design to me.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Did you properly engage the gear on the back of the ps pump (looks like a wide flat screwdriver tip) with the slot in the vacum pump ?

Old 12-13-2010, 05:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I beleive it is damn near impossible to not engage it. I would think that if it was not engaged the vac pump and power steering pump would not be able to be bolted together corectly. I had turned the gear at the front of the vac pump to make sure everything was engaged. I guess it is out with everything to double check my work. Is there a check ball in these pressure lines? Can they be mistakenly put on backwards?