12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

swappin auto to manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 02:13 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default swappin auto to manual

transmission flywheel bellhousing tcase front driveshaft crossmember pcm steerin colum and door handles. thats all i need to drop rite? mine is the auto

Old 11-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you dont have to drop the steering colum or the door handles and the pcm is out of the question. Just drop auto tranny,tcase,driveshafts and pull off the auto stuff and drill the hole for the shifter and drop in the manuel tranny and go to town

Old 11-18-2010, 02:01 AM
Diesel Bomber

im swappin with a guy that has a 24 valve 5speed wat all does he need that i wont have to have

Old 11-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if your gonna trade straight out then yea, he needs all the above (i thought you was just gonna convert it and just leave everything out)

Old 11-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

You know, You can take the key switch OFF the column so you don't have to switch door handles or keys. Just a thought. I'm not sure the steering columns are the same between the old style dash and the new style or not.

Bellhousing is part of the transmission on the 47re and it should stay with the 4500. You don't have to switch the adapter plate.

I'm not sure the 2 pcms will swap. In fact, I'm fairly certain they won't. You'll have to try it to know for sure, but I'm thinking he will have to buy a different PCM. You should be able to get away with running yours. You might have some warning lights that stay on. They can not be reflashed.

You shouldn't have to change crossmembers. Do both trucks have the wide crossmember with two sets of slotted holes? I don't remember what year they started using those. But that crossmember will work with all 3 transmissions. You may or may not have to swap driveshafts. Seems to vary on a truck by truck basis.

He is going to want to get his ECM reflashed with an auto tune. Bob Wagner can send you the correct tune if you have a Smarty, otherwise you'll have to take it to a dealer. Not sure if a Dodge dealer can flash it or not. Most of the time I ask them questions like that they just look at me and go huh? Might have to take it to a Cummins dealer.

That is all I can think of at the moment.

Edit: Doh! Just realized you had a 98. Disregard the comment about old style dash.

Edit#2: Wiring harnesses. You can cut yours and make it work. He is going to have to find an auto harness for his truck.

Last edited by kazairl; 11-20-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

great info! im the one he is swapping with and have already picked up an ecm, pcm, apps, wiring harness from someone local so that shouldn't be a problem. we just wanted to make it as cut and dry as possible so i removed the whole unit as an assebly to make the swap much easier on both parts. as for keys it seems to be the handles are much easier to take off that to take the one out of the column but we have to swap columns anyways so its no big deal. as for pcm's according to the dealership they will not work with any year other than what you have, but i dunno about that i don't really see why a 99 wouldn't work in my 2000?

Old 11-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by kazairl
You know, You can take the key switch OFF the column so you don't have to switch door handles or keys. Just a thought. I'm not sure the steering columns are the same between the old style dash and the new style or not.

Bellhousing is part of the transmission on the 47re and it should stay with the 4500. You don't have to switch the adapter plate.

I'm not sure the 2 pcms will swap. In fact, I'm fairly certain they won't. You'll have to try it to know for sure, but I'm thinking he will have to buy a different PCM. You should be able to get away with running yours. You might have some warning lights that stay on. They can not be reflashed.

You shouldn't have to change crossmembers. Do both trucks have the wide crossmember with two sets of slotted holes? I don't remember what year they started using those. But that crossmember will work with all 3 transmissions. You may or may not have to swap driveshafts. Seems to vary on a truck by truck basis.

He is going to want to get his ECM reflashed with an auto tune. Bob Wagner can send you the correct tune if you have a Smarty, otherwise you'll have to take it to a dealer. Not sure if a Dodge dealer can flash it or not. Most of the time I ask them questions like that they just look at me and go huh? Might have to take it to a Cummins dealer.

That is all I can think of at the moment.

Edit: Doh! Just realized you had a 98. Disregard the comment about old style dash.

Edit#2: Wiring harnesses. You can cut yours and make it work. He is going to have to find an auto harness for his truck.
mine is rh not re

Old 11-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by turbostang7
great info! im the one he is swapping with and have already picked up an ecm, pcm, apps, wiring harness from someone local so that shouldn't be a problem. we just wanted to make it as cut and dry as possible so i removed the whole unit as an assebly to make the swap much easier on both parts. as for keys it seems to be the handles are much easier to take off that to take the one out of the column but we have to swap columns anyways so its no big deal. as for pcm's according to the dealership they will not work with any year other than what you have, but i dunno about that i don't really see why a 99 wouldn't work in my 2000?
Well I know the 99 PCM doesn't work in my 02. However, I think the 01-02 PCMs are the same and the 98-2000 are the same. But I don't know that for sure. I discovered during my swap that half the information in the Dodge manual is wrong and the dealers don't know jack.

Originally Posted by blazier18
mine is rh not re
If it is the trans that originally came with that truck it is an RE.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Diesel Bomber

from what i understand 97 is re 98 is rh where is 94 12 valve hell know

Old 11-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Diesel Bomber

94s for sure and they either switched in mid 95 or 96. Before that they were RH with a hydraulic governor. After that they used an electronic governor. Hence, RE. At least I'm pretty sure.

Quick Reply: swappin auto to manual