12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

whys my truck so clunky

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default whys my truck so clunky

i know a 12v Cummins is a pretty stinky, rattly, clunky machine but iv got just a few concerns that id like to hear some other owners say is normal. first of all, its a 5 speed truck. i notice that when i shift gears it doesn't really settle all the way into gear all the time(mainly 4th gear), it will go most of the way and then when i accelerate hard the shifter will suddenly fall all the way back into gear, nothing crazy, no massive clunk or anything, but sometimes noticeable. iv got the same nv4500 in my chevy but iv got a home made short throw setup on it so i really cant compare, totaly different animal.

second, alot of times when i let the clutch out, when it hits that point where it grabs hard, i will feel a clunk. all the joints are tight, nothing shows any excessive wear, im thinking a 6" block must shift a bit when loaded, is this common? never owned a truck with blocks before.

and last of all, when i really get into it it makes a funny noise. as the boost peeks and my power really peeks off alot of times i hear the tone of the engine/exhaust/clank and rattle change to an odd groaning type tone, my egts are around 1100 or so, maybe a little hotter, but my waste gate is not functional, i make around 36psi. does excesive drive pressure on the exhaust turbine cause this or is this pretty much a normal sound, im not used to driving something that sounds like a dump truck, i have no idea what im hearing... for all i know i could be hearing noisy injectors. only reason i even bring it up is because my brother said he thought it sounded funny, he initially said it made a tone similar to what he hears when his egts are just through the roof, hes got a duramax, totally different animal i know...