12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

1994 cummins

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1994 cummins

so im looking at a 1994 cummins and was wondering if there is anything specific that i should be looking for? bad block or anything and how much power could u get outta one but still get ok mileage and be streetable.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

idk anything about a bad block. and power wise its got the p7100 pump so thats a plus on any cummins. is it standard or auto. wat hp pump?

Old 10-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just bought a 94 about 3 weeks ago myself. when i got mine it had a broken transmission mount, if its got a 5 speed its easy to tell, dump the clutch in 1st and the shifter will smack the dash if the mounts broken . the fuel cutoff solenoid is also bad on mine, it has a string tied to the over ride, i pull a string every time a start it... the front seal leeks, probably from someone doing the killer dowel pin job, do a search for killer dowel pin and youl see that's the most common issue.

thats about it for the engine, other then that your front end will probably show some wear, i needed to do ball joints and a new wheel bearing on one side, the other side was already done. if the front axle leaks, id recommend just purchasing the outer seal kit from summit racing rather then doing the inner seals, i did both on mine and the inners were alot of time spent for nothing, had to pull the ring gear and carrier out and everything.

overall, im really happy with mine, i really dont have much time or money in the truck compared to anything else iv owned. pretty solid truck, just a few issues you need to look out for and the typical ball joints and tie rod ends that any truck will wear out.

o yea, and i have to say, the dodge truck itself really does suck, your buying a heavy duty drive train with a doo doo cab and bed slaped over it. pretty uncomfortable clapped out ugly interior, a/c controlls are pretty limited similar to a ford, rusty bed floor, some electrical problems, typical mopar. but it is a very roomy cab. still an awesome truck

as for power and mileage, your just going to want to do a fuel plate and governer spring, crank up the star wheel and adjust or max out the wastegate. my truck has no plate, maxed starwheel and maxed wastegate. the truck moves ok, ALOT more powerfull then i was expecting being on 35" tires. i used to daily drive a 500+ hp truck before this so idk how much my opinion is worth but they honestly arent all they are hyped up to be as far as power goes, very impressive for a 90s diesel, just dont expect a hot rod unless you wanna really drop some cash. i get about 14mpg around town on a good tank on 35s with 4.10s. for the most part i blow smoke everywhere and drive as fast as it will let me and honestly i probably get more like 13 as much as i dont like to admit it to myself, everybody lies about there gas mileage, im just being honest here. dont expect it to be like a honda civic, its still a truck, this is another category where they are a little over hyped in. but once again, overall, still very good performance, very good mpg in my opinion, im happy with mine.

Last edited by Chevy355mark; 10-27-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey there chevy355mark you still around?

curious, is you truck a cummins with the nv4500 5 speed tranny, and if so was the truck converted or was it a manual from the factory,

thank you

Old 10-28-2010, 01:44 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wilson1207
hey there chevy355mark you still around?

curious, is you truck a cummins with the nv4500 5 speed tranny, and if so was the truck converted or was it a manual from the factory,

thank you
yes. i own 2 rucks at the moment. my chevy is a supercharged 355 and that is the truck that has an nv4500 swap. my other truck is a 94 dodge cummins which is a FACTORY 5 speed truck, nv4500. so yes, i do have a factory 5 speed Cummins, sorry for any confusion.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey bud, woudl you be wiling to look at a couple of things under your truck for me?

Old 10-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shorty2tall
so im looking at a 1994 cummins and was wondering if there is anything specific that i should be looking for? bad block or anything and how much power could u get outta one but still get ok mileage and be streetable.
Its pretty much what Chevy355mark said. Another thing to look for is rust spots and any leaks what so ever! Because when a diesel starts leaking, it is VERY hard to get them to quit leaking!! But such as fuel milage and power, you can pretty much do anything to theses trucks and still be bullet proof! But the first things you need to start looking at as powerwise: do the killer dowel pin which is a pin, overtime will loosen and vibrate out and that little pin will get between the gears and bascally destroy the motor.I suggest when you do the killer dowel pin, go ahead and check or set the timeing at 16degree's.Then get a set of gauges (EGT,boost,tranny (if auto) and fuel pressure) to make sure everything is staying in contact because you dont wanna fry a piston.Also upgrade the stock airbox to a S&B stage 2 or something like that. Then from there, you can grind the stock fuel plate to a #10 or #0 which will roughly add 50-80hp And do some AFC mods. Then at that point your exgaust is gonna be alittle hot, so go ahead and cut the muffler off or just go ahead and upgrade to a bigger exghaust then the story goes on but thats the basic stuff

Old 10-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

ok thanks guys im going to look at the truck this weekend if i get it it will be my first diesel!!! the only leak the guy said there was is a trans leak from the pan gasket and he said u only really notice if it sits for a week then u see a small spot on the ground. so that shouldnt be a problem

Old 10-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also ask the guy about normal mainance like oil change,fuel filter and etc.

And since its a 94' you got a 160hp pump

Old 10-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

ok will do and is the 160hp pump good? or does the 12v's have a better pump?

Quick Reply: 1994 cummins