12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Urgent: Anyone have info on replacing rear axle/hub seal? (D80)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent: Anyone have info on replacing rear axle/hub seal? (D80)

Hey Guys, I hauled a car yesterday and I noticed my truck was pulling to the left pretty badly under harder braking. I pulled the right rear drum off to find everything COVERED in a mess of oil and old pad material. Looks like the hub seal is leaking into the drum. Does anyone have a DIY on doing this seal or a copy of the service manual page? I have NO experience with a Dana 80, or anything very similar (I can tell you all about military trucks, but no civvy axles!). Need to get my truck back on the road ASAP. Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 10-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

It is pretty simple. Pull the bolts and pull the axle shaft out. Remove all the brake components. Remove the wedge on the hub adjustment nut and unscrew it. It takes a large socket but I don't remember what size. I'll look at the one I have at home. I think it is like 1 9/16.

Pull the hub off and R&R the seal.

When you put the hub nut back on torque it to 120 ft-lbs and then back it off until you have .001"-.010" endplay and replace the wedge. The torque on the axle shaft bolts is 95 ft-lbs.

On the end play tighter is better. Tapered roller bearings last the longest with just a slight amount of preload. However there is really no good way to measure preload so they get set slightly loose. But the less endplay the better their life will be.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. Kind of dived into it today.

Had to order the seal and the socket (2 9/16). Doesn't seem like I will need any special tools thankfully!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

2 9/16. I was a little off Doh!

It is pretty simple. Depending on how many miles you have on those bearings you might consider replacing them as well. Also check the spindle surface the seal rides on. Mine was grooved up pretty good. You might have to install the seal at a different depth or install a speedy sleeve o get it to seal up properly.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

Also if your brakes were soaked by the grease i'd recomend changing them.Their stopping ability won't be the same.