12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

intercooler relocation

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts
Default intercooler relocation

has anyone ever moved their intercooler or would see it as a bad idea to? on my chevy with the ac condenser intercooler and radiator all there, it gets HORRIBLE air flow through there (keep in mind it wasnt designed for this appliation. ive been thinking alot lately about plumbing the intercooler underneath the bed so that i can run a much larger radiator and electric fan setup (in california 110 degree weather pullin a trailer it just doesnt cut it)

can anyone see any reasons as to why this wouldnt work?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

I am going to put one in the bed on my puller IDK if it will work better or not

Old 09-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default intercooler relocation

Wouldn't that create more time from the turbo comp to in intake manifold? I suppose a badass enough turbo may not make a diff though. What about cutting some holes in the bumper? Or maybe running some ducts to the aftercooler?

Old 09-02-2010, 01:29 AM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

ya but it wont matter I hope
its a puller so I done need boost now
I am 50/50 on doing a water to air I just dont know yet

Old 09-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Diesel Bomber

im not worried about a little more turbo lag ill worry about that later. and im ot needing duct or anything for the intercooler its not that im worried about. im trying to get more air to my radiator it gets horrible flow. the intercooler and ac condensor stop any air from actually gettin to the radiator

Old 09-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by big bad diesel 416
ya but it wont matter I hope
its a puller so I done need boost now
I am 50/50 on doing a water to air I just dont know yet
air to water all the way for a puller

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

for the air to air I think the shorter you can keep the piping the better

Last edited by 94 12valve; 09-02-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm wondering why you don't get good airflow to the radiator. I mean, they are designed to be flow-through parts. The net cooling effect is reduced only when the turbo is boosting and the A/C is on, so the air is a bit warmer by the time it gets to the rad, thus a little less heat transfer potential. But that should not make a big enough difference to really be even noticeable, except possibly under extreme conditions like towing in the summer.

Is the truck running warm or overheating?

Old 09-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Don't the Chevy Diesels have holes in the bumper for cooling like the Powerstrokes ? If so that would probably be helpful

Old 09-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by NadirPoint
I'm wondering why you don't get good airflow to the radiator. I mean, they are designed to be flow-through parts. The net cooling effect is reduced only when the turbo is boosting and the A/C is on, so the air is a bit warmer by the time it gets to the rad, thus a little less heat transfer potential. But that should not make a big enough difference to really be even noticeable, except possibly under extreme conditions like towing in the summer.

Is the truck running warm or overheating?
in the mornings when its only 80 degrees outside or so it runs right at 180 on the money all morning long. but when i get off work and its 100-110* outside with the ac on it runs at like 220 without any load on it. going up a grade even without a load it will climb from there and i definitely need to be able to tow a trailer in summer time. my electric fan is millimeters away from my belts i have no room for anything under there and i would like to go back to the chevy radiator (its like 43" wide by 19" tall and cools much more efficiently IMO) and with the wider radiator and more fan clearance with the intercooler gone, i could go back to a killer dual electric fan that would work much better than the one fan but i dont have room right now with the skinny little dodge radiator to fit a 2nd fan

Originally Posted by tiremann9669
Don't the Chevy Diesels have holes in the bumper for cooling like the Powerstrokes ? If so that would probably be helpful
no they do not, at least not in those years

Old 09-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

I would confirm condition of the thermostat, water pump, fan clutch and the rad itself before assuming airflow was the problem.

Quick Reply: intercooler relocation