12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

ATF all over the bottom of my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 03:56 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATF all over the bottom of my truck?

A week or so ago when I got home from about a 20 mile drive I noticed my truck was leaking tranny fluid from around the lines that piggy back eachother just behind the bell housing. I looked to the right and I noticed my Transfer case was leaking from the very bottom about a 2 inch separation in the gasket, and the fuel tank was slick with oil and beading towards the bottom, it had a substantial amount on it, the rear drive shaft was dry from the T-case to about 8 inches from the rear diff which was also soaked.

After everything dried I've noticed that the rear diff has a very slow leak at the bottom, The T-case seems to be wheeping out of the drain and fill plugs and very slowly from the bottom, and the lines leak, but they leak FAR worse when the truck is in drive. They seem to be leaking right where they cross the tranny to the drivers side, but I see no holes or definitive "punctures" or breaks. I have no idea what caused all 3 of these things to break, and before I pay a shop to do the work, I want to know a little about the issue. Any ideas what caused this to happen so I can prevent it in the future?? I'm still baffled at how the fuel tank and rear diff can be soaked all over despite the leak! Is the T-case spraying out ATF??

The only mod on this truck is a "BD pressureloc" which I just found out it had. Could this have caused the issues?

Last edited by JakeB; 08-20-2010 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all dodges slowly leak from the ring and pinion. every dodge ive seen does, and i work at a lube shop. as far as the drain plug leaking, id double check for tightness and possible the last person to check the transfercase plug crossthreaded it, or its just loose. as far as the hoses, rubber tends to dry out over time, and when the trucks on, theres an intense amount of pressure running throgh the transmission lines (automatics) and that would cause it to leak more while running. the lines are probally starting to crack or dry out.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd check your lines that run up to your tranny cooler, I had a 98 12 valve did this same thing and one of my lines had just a tiny crack in it, other than that, get some good degreaser and head to the car wash, pressure wash off the bottom of your truck, then go for a short drive maybe 5 or 10 min. You will be able to see excatly were it's leaking. Its hard to find a leak when everything is covered in oil. Get it clean and take a look you'll find your leak I promise