12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

need smoke

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:53 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need smoke

Hey im new to this sit and i had a question i have a 95 cummins and i want some smoke im only 16 and learning about this stuff i have messed with the smoke screw but thats about it i could really use some help

Thanks dylan

Last edited by Reather be cummin; 08-20-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:01 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a programer they have always done well with making smoke haha

Old 08-20-2010, 02:18 AM
Diesel Fan

thanks man

Old 08-20-2010, 02:53 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts
Old 08-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigred7.3
A programmer on a 95

Old 08-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigred7.3
That's f#$ked up man. Educate the kid a little, don't be a d!ck.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Diesel Fan

well could you tell me anything sir

Old 08-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Reather be cummin
well could you tell me anything sir
First question is, why do you want smoke? Second question is, do you understand the pitfalls to having a smokey rig? Third question is, have you checked out the helpful hints in the 2nd Gen 12 valve section?

Smoke, albiet it "cool" to some, is in fact very hot. Black smoke is essentially unburned fuel exiting the engine thus resulting in very high exhaust side temperatures. A poorly tuned "smokey" diesel could have catastrophic results if not properly driven or re-tuned. If smoke is all you are worried about, you better have a spare motor ready...I have a melted piston to prove the point behind my theory. What you should be looking for is a balance of power, reliability, and maybe a little show off cloud now and then. Do you and your truck a favor and check out some of the threads in the section specific to your truck. Knowledge is the real power.

As a hint for your trusty '95...AFC, Fuel Plate, Smoke Screw, and GAUGES. Learn to master them in a responsible manner and you will get the power your desire.

Also, if you already have this diesel, don't post in "potential owners" thread...it just pisses off the mods.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 162 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 93_Fummins
First question is, why do you want smoke? Second question is, do you understand the pitfalls to having a smokey rig? Third question is, have you checked out the helpful hints in the 2nd Gen 12 valve section?

Smoke, albiet it "cool" to some, is in fact very hot. Black smoke is essentially unburned fuel exiting the engine thus resulting in very high exhaust side temperatures. A poorly tuned "smokey" diesel could have catastrophic results if not properly driven or re-tuned. If smoke is all you are worried about, you better have a spare motor ready...I have a melted piston to prove the point behind my theory. What you should be looking for is a balance of power, reliability, and maybe a little show off cloud now and then. Do you and your truck a favor and check out some of the threads in the section specific to your truck. Knowledge is the real power.

As a hint for your trusty '95...AFC, Fuel Plate, Smoke Screw, and GAUGES. Learn to master them in a responsible manner and you will get the power your desire.

Also, if you already have this diesel, don't post in "potential owners" thread...it just pisses off the mods.
I agree 100%. Get the knowledge you need before you screw with things. I don't wanna be a d!ck but we don't need a bunch of little kids running around giving us diesel guys a bad name. Set your truck up to be a clean decently powered truck that every once in a will you can puff a cloud of smoke

Old 08-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For one thing a 95 12v cummins is a mechanical engine unlike the 24V. Use the search button for information on tuning your afc and slididng your fuel plate. Excessive smoke is just a waste and gives us all a bad name. I would get gauges first to monitor boost and EGT's before any mods. Then tune your afc as desired. Your actually getting off easy in this thread as I have seen others ask the same question and get butchered. Just do your research. And if you have an automatic you better be ready to upgrade, the stock dodge tranny is junk but with some good parts inside them they can hold some good numbers.

Quick Reply: need smoke