Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

I have read the info on here about doing the adjustments on the valves. I saw that if you dont have a bearing tool that you could rotate it with the alternator pulley bolt. It said that if you use this method that it will ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums

Question Valve Lash Adjustment Help

I have read the info on here about doing the adjustments on the valves. I saw that if you dont have a bearing tool that you could rotate it with the alternator pulley bolt. It said that if you use this method that it will rotate the engine backwards so make sure your adjusting the right valves. If i did it with the alternator bolt what will change? It also said that I could use the balancer pulley bolt, will this also rotate the engine backwards? Im trying to get all the questions answered so when i start I want have any problems... Any help would greatly be appreciated..Thx in advance

jumpnjed's Sig:
JUMPNJED
1996 DODGE 12 V-----#100 PLATE, BHAF,STRAIGHT PIPED,3 GSK
1993 DODGE 12 V-----2WD CLUB CAB--STOCK FOR NOW
1963 NOVA STATIONWAGON,1965 NOVA STATIONWAGON (DRAG CAR)
ONE 4 LEGGED MULE (JED)
Old 05-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Diesel Bomber

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile

valve lash is pretty simple

here is how to do it

B Series Valve Adjustment

94 12valve's Sig:Dave

2.6" Puller
Old 05-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Site Sponsor

View Member's Albums

Originally Posted by jumpnjed View Post
I have read the info on here about doing the adjustments on the valves. I saw that if you dont have a bearing tool that you could rotate it with the alternator pulley bolt. It said that if you use this method that it will rotate the engine backwards so make sure your adjusting the right valves. If i did it with the alternator bolt what will change? It also said that I could use the balancer pulley bolt, will this also rotate the engine backwards? Im trying to get all the questions answered so when i start I want have any problems... Any help would greatly be appreciated..Thx in advance
Baring tool can go forwards or backwards
off the alternator only backwards other wise the belt slips
off the crank forwards or backwards

That means you adj backwards read above link but your backwards

Hope that helped

Brice

big bad diesel 416's Sig:
BBD PERFORMANCE INC.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums

I guess im hard headed but the directions say that if you dont have the bearing tool that you can rotate it by the alternator pulley bolt, it states that if i do it this way that it will rotate the engine backwards and that i need to make sure that im adjusting the correct valves. What exactly is it meaning? I understand the directions if I have the bearing tool and I understand the order they need to be done if you have the bearing tool. Dont mean to be complicated I just want to understand whats going on bc I dont have the bearing tool to rotate it so I wanna do it without it and just want to understand before I screw something up.. THX

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I figured it out.. It was one of those times I didnt read carefully enough and I wasnt using my noggin..

Last edited by jumpnjed; 05-27-2010 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Diesel Fan

use the dampener bolts, turn them clock wise, make sure its in neutral. intake valve .015 exhaust valves .030. pin the cam on tdc #1 and run both on one, then intake on 2, exhaust on 3, intake on 4, exhaust on 5... roll it over once ( mark dampener so that your mark and the belt line up and roll it over til they line up again) then do both on 6, intake on 5, exhaust on 4, intake on 3, exhaust on 2 . be sure to pull the plug b4 you roll over to tdc 6!!! youll rip the tit off of it
Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Diesel Bomber

View Member's Albums

I hope after 2 years he figured it out

tiremann9669's Sig: 96 12 valve Club Cab 4X4, K&N Intake,4'' Straight Pipe, 285/75R16 Bridgestone Revo's,on 16X8 American Racing Black steelies, Firestone ride rite airbags Future Bombs Guages, Aftermarket lift pump, Fuel plate, Injectors,etc,etc,etc Oh Yea I'm sure a clutch will come into the picture sometime too
Old 11-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Diesel Fan

lmao my bad i didnt even look at the date, i screwed it up any way, the 5.9s are .010 and .020 , im a CAT tech and all our strait 6's get .015 and .030
Old 11-09-2012, 04:29 PM

is there anyone on here i can ask a few questions about a powerstroke?
Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Diesel Bomber

viktor.kyntroll DecaDurabolin87

For your 97 Powerstroke you want to post in this section:
Ford Powerstroke 94-98 7.3L - Diesel Bombers

angelic0-'s Sig:
On-Truck:
[BBD 60# Valvesprings, 4k GSK, Raptor 150GPH LP, DDP 5x.016 Injectors, Marine HG, Maxed Out P-Pump, No Plate, Tuned AFC, 20° Timing, Holset HX40 & HX60 Compounds, SB 13125-FEK]
[Custom 4,5" Downpipe, 5" Pipe & Dual 6" Stacks]

submit to reddit