Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

Had problems with 3rd gear in my 97 Dodge 2500 5 speed so I decided to get it rebuilt and got it back this last week. They replaced the rear main , resurfaced the flywheel, new clutch,to brg,syncros,brgs,mainshaft and third gear. The good news is ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums

Default NV4500 Problem

Had problems with 3rd gear in my 97 Dodge 2500 5 speed so I decided to get it rebuilt and got it back this last week.
They replaced the rear main , resurfaced the flywheel, new clutch,to brg,syncros,brgs,mainshaft and third gear.
The good news is that 3rd gear is fine now the bad news is from neutral I can't get it into gear most of the time without fighting it and usually putting it into 3rd or 4th first then putting it into 1st sometimes it takes me 20 or 30 seconds at a stoplight which dosen't make me a lot of friends and I really don't blame them too much either.
I have talked to the mech that did the work and he said it is just tight and that it will get better when I put some miles on it well-- I have about 300 mi on it now and it aint no better yet and it is getting really frustrating to drive.
So I guess if someone has some ideas I would really appreciate hearing them, Thanks
cloker12:confused:
Old 09-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Site Mascot

View Member's Albums

this may sound like an odd question but what oil did they put in it??

Whit's Sig:"Enjoy the day. Take what you want and leave the rest...."
Old 09-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Diesel Wrench

Send a message via AIM to DBogo

if they didnt use the gm or chrysler stuff or castrol syntorque or amsoil MTG then it may be causing the problem

DBogo's Sig:1995 Ram 2500 12v NV4500 4x4 rc/lb
1995 Ram 2500 12v 47RH 2wd ec/lb
1996 Nissan UD 1800 FE6TA 6spd 19' Jerr-Dan Steel w/Wheel Lift
1999.5 Jetta ALH TDI 5spd
Thanks to Upstate Diesel Performance
Old 09-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Site Mascot

View Member's Albums

Check this out

Castrol Syntorq LTŪ 75w85w GL-4 rated, low temperature, synthetic gear lubricant is the only factory approved lubricant for NV4500 series transmissions. Some other lubricant manufacturers such as Amsoil may have products that are compatible. However, we have yet to see any other lubricant match the specifications of Syntorq LTŪ.

Castrol Syntorq LTŪ is available in quart bottles from Dodge dealers (p/n 4874459) and GM dealers (p/n 12346190). Castrol distributors offer factory sealed 16 gallon drums, plus some repackage the oil in 5 gallon pails.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums

Thanks for the replies, He did use the syntorq 75 90w. I really think that is what caused the trans failure to begin with so I was really clear on that before we started.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

joshmock's Sig:06' 3500 4x4 Dually, 6 Speed Manual- Cold Air

Last edited by joshmock; 10-11-2009 at 02:09 AM..
Old 10-11-2009, 04:09 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

David teten

Send a message via Yahoo to davo79 View Member's Albums

I'm thinkin clutch. The clutch and flywheel kinda wear into eacother and if the flywheel got resurfaced and the old clutch put back in that could cause a problem don't know it can cause this but hey who really does know. Also please tell us you diidnt take it to aamco those guys will say they did the job but never do then when it fails again they say its because of you not them

davo79's Sig:95 ram 2500 4x4 12v #0 plate custom intake 4k gov 60 pound springs 191dvs new era 370s bd exhaust brake single 6 in stack custom modded 120 gallon fuel tank in the bed

submit to reddit