Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

Recently I lost overdrive in my 96 cummins I replace the fluid and filter, governor solenoid, adjusted the band, Adjusted the Throttle linkage, checked the TPS, and am getting ready to replace the overdrive solenoid, and I can't find any bad grounds anywhere. If the ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2010, 04:14 PM

Default Overdrive Problems

Recently I lost overdrive in my 96 cummins I replace the fluid and filter, governor solenoid, adjusted the band, Adjusted the Throttle linkage, checked the TPS, and am getting ready to replace the overdrive solenoid, and I can't find any bad grounds anywhere. If the overdrive solenoid fails to fix it any one have any ideas. It locks up fine and has no issues with any other gear just overdrive.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:17 PM

im new and i have the same problem, i even replaced my pcm and it didnt help. let me know what you find out, maybe you could use me pcm
Old 08-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums

you could put your od on a toggle switch first and try it out and that would tell you whether or not that solenoid is bad or not and i guess if it worked that means you got a wiring issue. heres a link on wiring the od and tc lock to toggles: http://www.tstproducts.com/Torque%20...p%20Switch.pdf

brindle_bull's Sig:95 12 valve CTD ext. cab 2wd auto
94 12 vlave CTD single cab 5spd 2wd

Last edited by brindle_bull; 08-05-2010 at 09:33 PM..
Old 08-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Diesel Wrench

View Member's Albums

how did your fluid look? you could have a bad tps sensor, also is the speedometer working correctly?

cumminspwr11's Sig:1995 auto, 4x4, 181 dvs, 5x12s, triple disk billet tc, no plate, afe intake, exhaust, afc mods, custom intake horn, 2095 rack plug, 18*, 4k govenor springs, kdp killed, somewhat built trans, mighty diesel head bolts, port and polish, he351vgt, 3.73 gears, hp front axle with free float hubs
Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums

oops sorry that link only shows the pin for tc lockup (pin 54) pin 55 is the od solenoid.<---this applies to "dillon" from above. now as to "rodeomedic's" problem, have you looked into your od off/on button on the dash? those sometimes have issues so im told.

Last edited by brindle_bull; 08-05-2010 at 09:43 PM..
Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 AM

thanks for the help, the fluid is fine, everyone keeps bringing up the tps, i changed it but the new did not make any diff, but i might not have taken time to adjust it correctly, that being said i can only get about 3.5 volts at wot. so not knowing how it all works, i have 5 volts going to the tps so i rigged that wire to the other wire that you are supposed to use when you do your adjustment, and that made no diff. I bought this truck a few months ago not knowing how many problems it has, let me fill you in, please dont laugh at my dumbness for not checking it out better before buying it. right now my airbag light is on, my cruse is inop, no overdrive, no com. at my obd1. I think that is it in a nut shell.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Diesel Fan

View Member's Albums

same troubles here
Old 06-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Diesel Fan

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I am about to buy a 1997 and I have never owned one (diesel dodge) before. Looking in hindsight, can you guys tell me anything specific that I should on the lookout for?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2011, 09:21 AM
Diesel Fan

The tps has no way to adjust it. It goes on one way only. Have you checked you crank position sensor? Is your alternator charging correctly?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Diesel Fan

JacobW

View Member's Albums

You're supposed to have 1 volt at the TPS when the ignition is on and plugged in. 5 volts when the ignition is off. You can adjust it by drilling out the mounting holes and turning it.

Dieselfunohio's Sig:1996 Dodge 2500 12v Cummins. 6 inch stacks. 3 inch lift. painted engine with pictures to come soon. Saving for a NV4500 swap so I can start on the engine mods after this POS automatic is gone

submit to reddit