12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

94 AUTO towing problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 AUTO towing problems

i was towing a buddy's skid loader up a slight hill today and "almost" didnt make it bc the pedal was to the floor and i was only hitting 20 mph. I was monitoring the gauges and the boost was reading 26 lbs, rpm's were around 2,400 and the weird thing was that my egt's were only at 600? the question is... Is it time for a transmission upgrade or am i not getting enough fuel bc my egt's were so low?

Old 11-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

i would say not enough fuel with egt's that low pulling a skid loader. stock fuel plate= no fuel!!!!! pull the tranny dip stick and see if it smells like burnt toast.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:39 PM
FormerVendor
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry to say it but it sounds like it might be time for a new tranny

Old 11-19-2009, 06:15 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by lodal cummins
i would say not enough fuel with egt's that low pulling a skid loader. stock fuel plate= no fuel!!!!! pull the tranny dip stick and see if it smells like burnt toast.
i pulled the tranny dipstick and it was red but didn't smell it. i was told if your tranny is going out it will be a brownish color.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by Shea@L&N Performance
Sorry to say it but it sounds like it might be time for a new tranny
for the hauling i do and the slight mods i have would a BD Diesel Stage 3 kit be good enough? I'd like to put bigger injectors and an aftermarket fuel plate in also.

Last edited by jstizy; 11-19-2009 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-19-2009, 09:08 AM
FormerVendor

Your torque converter might be slipping, kinda sounds like what is going on. I would go ahead and get a tc and a valvebody, those should drastically improve your tranny, and if you add alot more power you'll just need to get a heavy duty rebuild kit and maybe a billet input. I just got my tripple disc tc and valvebody from suncoast yesterday for my 97, hope to get it in over the weekend or first of next week so Ill keep you posted on how she holds up. Were going to have a huge sale on Suncoast parts the friday after thanksgiving so if your interested in that, just let me know.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:57 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Floored, 20 mph and the tranny fluid isn't burnt to ash. You got a problem here. That truck should have pulled that thing with out even breathin hard and with that description your EGT's should have melted that engine long before you came to a stop.

I don't know anything about the fueling on these 12V trucks but you a fuel problem there.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:52 PM
FormerVendor

Missed the EGT part, that does seem kind of odd. Does sound like a fueling problem.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how is 600* gonna melt his engine?

Old 11-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba
Floored, 20 mph and the tranny fluid isn't burnt to ash. You got a problem here. That truck should have pulled that thing with out even breathin hard and with that description your EGT's should have melted that engine long before you came to a stop.

I don't know anything about the fueling on these 12V trucks but you a fuel problem there.
if does sound like a fuel problem but i dont know where to begin because in the last two months i replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the pre-filter, replaced the lift pump and replaced the overflow valve... any ideas? on a side note i am going to go ahead with the upgraded tranny mods and TC.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

get a fuel pressure gauge on it

Quick Reply: 94 AUTO towing problems