Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

Originally Posted by DieselDanBoy alright it sounds like your on the right track but still something doesnt seem quite right to me. Im deffinetly with you on the fuel issue but you said it was at about 2400 rpm and it wasn't pulling worth a ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by DieselDanBoy View Post
alright it sounds like your on the right track but still something doesnt seem quite right to me.

Im deffinetly with you on the fuel issue but you said it was at about 2400 rpm and it wasn't pulling worth a crap and egt's were low.

Now im not a cummins guy but if the motor's running at 2400, it should be getting good fuel no?? im not doubting you guys im just really interested
well the 12v's start defueling after 2100 rpm (someone correct me if im wrong) so the only way to correct that is a new fuel pate.

jstizy's Sig:94 2500 single cab AUTO - 6" exhaust, Pyro/ Boost gauges, AFC slid forward, Stock fuel plate slid forward, Starwheel cranked, AFC modded, TC Lockup
Old 11-25-2009, 07:36 AM
Diesel Wrench

A fuel plate won't help with the defueling. That is controlled by the govenor. You'll need a GSK kit.

PhilipR's Sig:-Phil-98 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4,12V,47RE Suncoast Billet input shaft, Suncoast H/D Extreme Trans kit, Goerend Triple disc converter, FASS 150/90, FASS Suction tube, Amsoil Ea air and pre-filter, 100 plate, 4K GSK, 370's, AFC Mods, CoolerTubz intake, 5" stacks, BD-SBS, Autometer Z-series Pyro/Boost/Trans/FP, Amsoil front to back.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:55 AM

Send a message via MSN to Storm1

Originally Posted by jstizy View Post
the boost was reading 26 lbs, rpm's were around 2,400 and the weird thing was that my egt's were only at 600?
The numbers sound right to me for 12V that is running a stock fuel plate. I think the motor is producing the power but the tranny is not delivering it to the pavement.

Storm1's Sig:1994 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 RC, 100 plate FF, 3K GSK, AFC Mods, TST Boost & Pyro on Pillar, Custom Air Box, Valair 13" Ceramic/Kevlar
Old 11-26-2009, 10:35 AM

My 12v will get up to 2400 no problem but the fuel pressure drops to almost nothing, well below 10psi on my gauge. So yes it has fuel but not necessarily enough fuel.
Put a fuel gauge on it, I was amazed my truck was still running when I saw what the psi was.
Originally Posted by DieselDanBoy View Post
Now im not a cummins guy but if the motor's running at 2400, it should be getting good fuel no?? im not doubting you guys im just really interested
Old 11-27-2009, 06:29 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Status: need more power and dealing with a lack of money. clutch is toast

View Member's Albums

sounds like a tranny problem because he said it was at about 2400 rpms and only going 20 mph, the engine might not have had the power but it was turning enough rpms. and if the engine has no load on it then its not goona have a whole lot of heat in it. sounds to me like the torque converter is toast. either that or the valve body didnt let it shift to the next gear so it could go on. jmo

12.valve.hauler's Sig:97 ctd 4x4,230,000,215hp pump,no plate, star wheel ff, silencer ring disposed of, open turbo,courser mt's, 5 inch mitre cut stack(stuck up under the bed)
Old 11-27-2009, 12:41 PM
BOMBARDIER

View Member's Albums

Then shouldn't it have cooked the tranny fluid.

Uncle Bubba's Sig:

DIESEL BOMBERS ADMINISTRATOR

99 Quad Cab, 4wd, Drag Comp W/Pump Wire & Boost Elbow installed, K&N Air Canon, MBRP exhaust, Belt Drive Lift Pump and bottom Bulkhead feed from the tank, Isspro EV Pyrometer, Boost Gauge, Fuel Pressure Gauge, DT Pro Fab Trac Bar, South Bend 13-1.25 Con O Clutch, Ranch Hand Bumper, Borgeson Steering Shaft, Black Silicone Boots, 2" Lift Soft Ride Front Coils, Solenoid High Idle Kit, Bilstein 5100 HD Shocks, Rickson 19.5 Wheels w/Hancoock Rubber, HD Maxx Link Sway Bar Links, Superlift dual front stabilizer, EGR Brakes Front and Back, RV275 Injector's, Blue Chip VP44, Prodigy brake controller, B&W Gooseneck hitch and more I can't remember right now. Not to mention more to come I'm sure.
374.2/846.7 at 30psi

Have front end or steering problems, read this through thread: http://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-24...d-rebuild.html
Old 11-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

smell the tranny fluid to see if it smells like burnt toast, then pull the tranny pan and see how much debris is in the bottom. with those rpms and only going 20mph that fluid should be a stinking bad!!!!!!!!!

lodal cummins's Sig:1996 Dodge 12 Valve,100 Fuel Plate ff, Silencer Ring Removed, bhaf, AFC Tuned, Boost Elbow, 4"turbo backstage 2 75hp injectors
Boost & Pyro Meter Gauges, Automatic with low stall convertNer & Shift Kit
kdp killed,timing 15.5* 3kGSK Email: lodal@comcast.net
Old 11-28-2009, 01:27 AM
BOMBARDIER

View Member's Albums

The combination of very low EGT's and he said the tranny fluid is still fine is why I said it's gotta be fueling issues.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Diesel Wrench

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile

Originally Posted by 12.valve.hauler View Post
sounds like a tranny problem because he said it was at about 2400 rpms and only going 20 mph, the engine might not have had the power but it was turning enough rpms. and if the engine has no load on it then its not goona have a whole lot of heat in it. sounds to me like the torque converter is toast. either that or the valve body didnt let it shift to the next gear so it could go on. jmo
i like this answer the best, low egt's mean that either there's not a huge load on the engine, or insufficient fuel. but even at 2400 rpm the truck should still slowly pick up speed, once it came off the hill did the problem go away or no?
Old 12-07-2009, 04:37 PM

Default reply

about your 12v with no power pulling i would do a built trans i went the cheap route at first and broke my imput shaft but i now have a full builet trans with all three shafts converter and valve body flex plate and lock up controler the lock up is the big deal because the early years have a gruonding issue and wont lock up thats what mine was doing and before it you could not pull anything but it gets pricey for a good trans

submit to reddit

« dv's leakin | Tires »