12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Twin or single for 450hp

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 09:46 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin or single for 450hp

Hello ok so I'm looking to get around 450 to 500 hp out of my truck but mainly make it a torque monster. So I'm farly happy with the hp would like more (how wouldnt) no clue where im at but beat a 6.7 powerstroke on the highway w atleast exhaust in till my egts get to high and I let off but Want to keep it reliable since i use it for dd/ towing. My hx35w is staring to get some shaft play and need to figure out something turbo wise soon and I have no money so anything I buy will probably go on a almost maxed out credit credit card My truck runs good on highway buy seams really low on torque. Maybe due to 35" tires ( 275/65-20) stock size) and 373 gears but I figure for a diesel that wouldn't be a problem but I want my truck to be easy to drive so my wife can drive it easy when towing our camper so I want spool up instant which it seems very laggy right now with the manual and a 12.5 housing, once I get going the truck has the hp but still seems to lack in torque. If I'm on a hill I really have to ride the clutch in first, I can take off in superlow but the time I grab first iv lost alot of momentum when Towing and just makes it kinda a struggle to drive. Since my pumps been rebuilt I have it turned down and still pull 40psi easy but it's still a little smoky and laggy. I have a rebuilt ht55 with 26 exhaust housing sitting in my garage so I'm thinking about twins, I can fabricat all the piping and even have a second drain in my oil pan I welded in when rebuilding my engine, and my engine was buit with 600hp in mind so besides o ringing the head it's ready with studs , cam , and pushrods. The only thing that isn't ready is my intercooler, sofar iv hit 40 psi on the intake and nothing has blown up (stock intercooler with plastic end tanks ) (08 f250 12v cummins , ford intercooler ) I know once I go compounds I'll hit 50+psi easy and know the Intercooler will go and that's a 1000 piece. I talked to a turbo builder and he said I should go for his tow turbo ( a hx35 reworked to a 62 /65 with Billet wheel for 1150 that will spool like stock and has made 525 tuned) sounds great . I'm still concerned about drive psi and egts. Again I'm OK with the power level but my main concern is egts. 5 secs wot and I'm to 1300. I'm not going to the drag strip but when towing just my 8000lb camper that gets easly out of hand so I'm thingin about rebuilding my hx35w with a wicked wheel and doing twins and getting my intercooler for about 1400 total compared to 1150 for a single my only conceen with twins is that ht55 is huuuge, I can make the piping but not sure if it will fit. Just spent 2000 on pump rebuild with 13 barrels and plungers capable of 500cc of fuel, 1000 on ford mishimoto radiator since stock fan clutch went out and destroyed stock radiator and alternator 270. This truck is killing my wallet so with money in factor i would like to know everyone else's thoughts right now I'm split.main confern is egts second is spoolup since I do alot of city driving I don't need over 600 hp just wanting a super fast spooling 400 to 500 reliable hp truck capable of keeping egts under 1300 under heavy load/acceleration Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Twin or single for 450hp-20161230_162828.jpg   Twin or single for 450hp-20161230_165848.jpg  

Last edited by fummins2008; 01-01-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

He351cw over a s475 is about as fast spooling and budget as you can get. Will support around 650 hp. They make kits for them, don't get crazy Carl's kit as it fits like ****. Just make sure to hog out the gate on the he351cw. You could also get a 1.15 ar for the s475 to get even more torque and spool. We're making about 10-20 psi before 1800 rpm. Boost on demand basically. Compounds will offer really good drivability. Or get a new sxe 62 or 64/68 with a .70 t3 and should easily support 4-500 and make decent spool times and torque numbers. I suggest power driven diesel as a distributor for any parts you may need that they offer. Stay away from places like industrial or ats etc.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:10 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks but wouldn't the cheapest route be using the turbos I already have? I been look at the 351 and for a good one I'm looking at 800 and same for the s475, and over 1600 that i dont have to spend since i already have the turbos. I would love to use those for twins and might go that route in a few years if the turbos that I aready have dont work for me. Anybody running the hx35/ht55 setup? And with a small aftermarket single what hp u running and egts. And when I say small I'm talking something with a 60 or 62 wheel and under since I want something to spool close to stock.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:55 AM
Diesel Wrench

you can run whatever you want, we got a he351 for like 400 american rebuilt. and a single turbo is going to cost you near 1600 anyways new. a 62/68 sxe with a .70 t3 will be about the fastest new tech charger from borg you can get. its likely around 1300-1500$. and doing a compound kit two time so you can use old out dated cheap chargers doesnt make much sense to me when youd like better oness down the road that are cheap them selves. but you can run whatever youd like. an hx55 is pretty small for a compound set up, as most are 67mm wheels. it would spool fast likely but its pretty small. i wouldnt bother personally and would just save up for something newer and better . compounds are cheap by no means especially if your not building the piping yourself. if cheap is your route get a 62/68 .7 sxe and spend a bit on a good turbo and then you only have one turbo to worry about and dont have to buy a bunch of piping and what not.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:43 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks. I Rechecked the numbers on the turbo and it is a hx60 ( big *** turbo) and I will be fabing all my pipes. Just hoping I don't have to relocate my battery but I think I can make it all fit. Do you know of anybody running that 62 single. I'm just wondering if that single would cool my egts enough that I'd barely have to watch them or even if it maxed out at 1300 even tho I always try to keep it under 1200,

Old 01-19-2017, 08:35 AM
Diesel Wrench

i dont know anyone using it. but its plenty for your power level. its all in the tuning, do you have afc live? i suggest getting it to tune it. you should easily be able to tune the egts down and still make 4-500. and unless you mean 12-1300 towing i wouldnt worry about egts. we usually bury the egt gauge 15-1600 before dyno runs even begin. only for a few seconds but 1300 is nothing to worry about. if you want a bit more air you could get the 64/68 sxe with the same .70t3 and have similar spool and low end but more air to keep it cool and make some more power. the hx 60 would be a decent candidate for compounds awell, flowing about 10lbs or so more than the standard s475. so makes a bit more sense. really a preferance. the compounds will spool faster, likely lower end torque etc. but harder on the engine with higher boost levels and more work, chances for leaks, boot failures, plus your a lot more restricted to that set up once you use it and hx turbos arent really the standard for fitting things. so set up is garbage or needs a decent re work if you ever want a s300 or s400 in place of either. hopefully that helps, id personally go with one of the singles with a tight ar in your case for cost, ease, and power level, plus the 62/68 would be great for compounds down the road.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:15 AM
Diesel Fan

I don't have the afc live but have been checking it out and wondering if I should try it first befor upgrading turbos. As far as egts iv accidentally hit 1500 passing a car on the back roads, i floored it to pass and as i was passing i looked over at the gauge and seen1500, truck was empty and wot for maybe 8 to 10 secs, I'd like to have it were I don't have to watch my Guage empty and only and peak at it here and there towing, I do like the simplicity of the singe turbo but I thought twins were easer on the engine due to lower drive psi and more dense air going in? Also couldn't I lower my boost of the twins with the afc live?

Old 01-20-2017, 08:37 AM
Diesel Wrench

Much more drive pressure from compounds, your driving two turbos remember. And more dense air really isn't going to make it better for the engine. Better if it can control egts more but a decent single and a good tune and set up does wonders. Afc live is a great tool, far better than the old traditional way to tune. Faster etc. And somewhat yes by turning down fuel but boost isn't the over all issue. Not that there really is an issue I just think for you compounds are likely over kill. Unless you plan to tow in the mountains or something a lot. And even then a decent fast spooling single will likely shine up until fairly high weights and altitudes. You will easily beable to control egts with afc live with almost any amount of fuel. On my buddies compound truck which I built it has a he351cw over a s475, 191, 5x16 sacs, 4gsk and all supporting mods aswell as afc live. With fuel turned in maybe half if that it can peg 1500 in seconds and stay there all day. Or set it to 1100-1200-1300, whatever you want with the turn of a ****. We are putting a built 24v p pump in it next with 5x22, and a built 180 pump and plan to make it streetable with afc live. Will have a sxe 80 instead of the 475 and a external gate and tube manifold for the he351cw. But afc live should beable to keep it low egt for towing or whatever and turn it up for more jam. It's a great product.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:33 PM
Diesel Fan

OK well I do plan on towing my camper cross country next year and into the mountains but don't plan having any more weight then 12000lbs behind me which I imagin I can tune the afc live once I get in the mountains but do you think that 62 will keep up with that

Old 01-24-2017, 08:33 AM
Diesel Wrench

I personally think it would, esspecially with proper tuning. Depending on your fuel set up, can't remember what you have it may be a bit hard to have the full 450-500 while towing but I think you will have no problem towing with that turbo and afc live to keep it in control.