12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Oil consumption questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil consumption questions

Hello everyone,

I was just curious if the oil consumption I'm seeing is normal or not.

MILEAGE: 279K
USAGE: Was filled to top of safe zone on dip stick and now at bottom of safe zone at 3,000 miles in on a oil and filter change.
OIL USED LAST CHANGE: Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W-40 (full synthetic) Valvoline? Premium Blue Extreme? Diesel Engine Oil | Valvoline Heavy Duty
LEAKS: The oil pan gasket is leaking but not that bad. Not enough to justify that much of usage.
BLOWBY: Not bad at all from what I've been told.

The truck has the mods in my signature which are fresh mods so I'm a little concerned that its using oil.

It did just get cooler outside. When I last had it changed it was hot outside. In my last 12v I owned I used to run the Valvoline premium blue 15W-40 (synthetic blend) instead of the 5W-40 (full synthetic). Could that contribute to it using oil since its cooler outside and the fact that I'm using a full synthetic and a lighter weight cold starting oil? Also I don't let it warm up before taking off in the morning. I usually just start it and go.

Any ideas if this is normal consumption or if I have other issues? The previous owner wasn't a very diesel savvy guy and I kinda saved the truck so I'm sure he didn't run anything good through it and I'm a firm believer in running whats best so it'll last especially since this truck is modded. So if you recommend a different oil I'll go with something different. Not set on Valvoline if that's my issue with it using oil.

Last edited by xoibsurferx; 12-29-2016 at 09:33 PM. Reason: forgot something.
The following users liked this post:
whisker mc (01-11-2017)