12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Ball joint advice please...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 07:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball joint advice please...

I have spent two freaking days scouring various truck sites (including this one) trying to figure out what ball joints I should put in my 98 2500 Cummins 4WD quad cab. It has 230K miles on the clock and the ball joints might be original. I got the truck with 190K on it and scant records. It was maintained by a Dodge dealer that closed in the big Chrysler downsizing and the owner did not request service records before they closed.

The truck is in excellent condition and does not suffer from any kind of wandering or DW. It only goes off road on the beach and on my property. No heavy 4 wheeling. It has 305/70/16s and no lift. Just noticed some looseness in both lower BJs while the truck was up and I was doing brakes.

I want to do all four BJs. Want the best quality I can afford, but much of the information I have found is changing and often contradictory with companies buying out other companies and Asian outsourcing. Here's what I'm finding:

- Carli's are best, but I'm retired so they're off the table.

- XRFs seem to have many supporters and almost as many detractors. Not sure what to make of this.

- Some really good press on Raybestos Pros (not Raybestos regular) but I can't find a part number for my 98 or a fitment chart anywhere. Anyone know if they make a kit for this truck?

- Spicer's seem reasonably priced and some folks really like them. Sets are available for this truck.

- The vast majority of folks seem to say that Moog quality has tanked and are no longer recommended.

- Units from Napa, Autozone, Advance, etc, seems to be a crap shoot. Almost all seem to be made out of Chinesium. Most have a lifetime warrantee, but I'd rather get a premium set and go fishing than redo the job multiple times.

Sooo...

Anyone got any advice?

1. Are XRFs really a premium BJ?

2. Is there a Raybestos Pro set for this truck?

3. Are Spicers a premium BJ? Is there more than one quality level for Spicers?

Advice greatly appreciated.

Boatman

Old 07-16-2016, 10:32 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I just put dynatrac rebuildables in the truck I build for buddy, seem pretty stout, rebuildable so never have to press them out and supposed to last longer. That's my 2 cents

Old 07-21-2016, 07:19 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I've got Detroit Axle pieces. They were like, $80 for all four shipped to my door and have held up fantastic. Better than any of the parts store crap I've used over the years.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:52 PM

I second the notion to not use offbrand partshouse joints. I did that and a few years later I was doing them again, even after greasing them liberally every oil change. I put Moogs in hoping for the best. Mine is 2wd though. I hope I never have to do mine again because I had to tack weld them in place because they were fitting a little looser than I felt comfortable with in the lower control arms.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I fookin' love Detroit Axle. I love their hub bearings too. $125 to my door, and they outlast every hub I've ever tried including Chrysler. Since I drive this truck well over a thousand miles a week, half the time with an overweight gooseneck, plow snow, etc... I'm sort of a time bubble study on parts longevity so this is a huge deal for me.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:05 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd say a kingpin axle swap, but frankly, its way too much headache D
I put Z
XRFs in my truck prior to starting my silliness and they weren't bad. One shitty thing is that they tend to whoor out the knuckles a bit, so other joints don't fit right.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:49 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for all the replies. I would up going with the Raybestos Pros. American Undercar had a set to my door quick. Must say, they look like a superior piece. Even come with a fancy gold anodizing, not that that matters. Got the old ones out and new ones in with no issues. I'd put in new hubs a few years ago and coated everything with antiseize before reassembly. Both hubs came right out this time. New ball joints fit nice and tight, but not too tight. I've noticed that some folks have problems getting in new XRF lowers. Not so with the Raybestos Pros, at least for me.

So far, they ride great. We'll see how well they last.

Thankis again...Boatman