12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Major Catastrophe

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Major Catastrophe

Well my 97 caught on fire today. I had been having a problem with a ground somewhere because the radio had started going off sometime when I hit a bump. I replaced the ground cable on the passenger side battery Tuesday and had checked a few more grounds yesterday, but since I have been baling hay all week I haven't had much time to check it out. This evening on the way home I hit a pothole and the radio, blower motor and gauges went off, then smoke started coming out from under the hood. I killed the truck and opened the hood to find the driver side ground with flames about a foot high. I got it put out and jerked the battery cable out but all of the ground look to have melted and the main harness going into the cab is melted in the middle also. The cab was filled with smoke also
I'm wondering if I should try to re-wire it and take the chance that it may never being right again, buy a ford and do a 12 valve and tranny swap, or just buy a newer truck and be done with it?

Old 06-16-2016, 04:39 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

If you want a new truck, now's the time.
If you want a Fummins, now's also the time.
If you want to resurrect this one... be ready for a lot of

Old 06-16-2016, 08:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a 2012 today. Six speed ( of course),4x4, cclb, 3500 dually, 96,500 miles, bone stock. I'm very happy with it. Already talked to xds about an efi live tune so I can delete it. I still don't know what's going to happen to the 12 valve, but I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:24 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by six speed
I bought a 2012 today. Six speed ( of course),4x4, cclb, 3500 dually, 96,500 miles, bone stock. I'm very happy with it. Already talked to xds about an efi live tune so I can delete it. I still don't know what's going to happen to the 12 valve, but I'll keep you posted.
Nice!! That is a big GVWR jump and lots of comfort. H&S minimaxx is another programmer to look into.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:18 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man if I were you i'd keep that 12v and make it your beater. you could extremely easily install a starter button, and a switch for the shut off solenoid, and wire up your fuel pump if you have one. Wiring is barely a neccesity to make a 12v run, one of my buddies has a piece of bailing wire running into the cab thats tied to the shut off lever and it works fine! my vote says keep the old smoker so you dont beat your new ride

Old 07-09-2016, 01:21 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

now that I think about it a good bump makes my stereo die too! youve got me worried!Last time i hit a big bump my wheel bearing shattered and I was driving a tricycle!