12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

12v Cummins Low Idle Fuel Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My original ofv at idle is 7psi and only reaches a max of 10psi. My "new" ofv idles at 4psi, but can reach up to 30psi driving and 28 or so revving from idle. Im just gonna order an adjustable tork tek and replace the 2 rubber fuel lines at the back of the engine.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:47 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Whatever it is, you can now both rule out the OFV and know that the actual problem is deteriorating. Either way, you're much safer driving around with the new OFV. You can idle at next to nothing, but you don't want to be driving around at 10psi.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by JBearSVT
Whatever it is, you can now both rule out the OFV and know that the actual problem is deteriorating. Either way, you're much safer driving around with the new OFV. You can idle at next to nothing, but you don't want to be driving around at 10psi.
Well i got a tork tek adjustable ofv and threw it in. I get 22psi at idle finally. Runs way better. Most i see is 24psi driving and if i full throttle it i drop to 10 psi, havent seen less than that but boost and egts were gettin high so i let off.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Diesel Bomber

Wow, down to 10psi with a new LP? Hm. The stock LP does get less efficient as the RPMs get up there, but that's still pretty low. Regardless, it sounds like the OFV was at least a problem. Good cheap fix

Old 06-06-2016, 04:39 PM

Wow, down to 10psi with a new LP? Hm. The stock LP does get less efficient as the RPMs get up there, but that's still pretty low. Regardless, it sounds like the OFV was at least a problem. Good cheap fix
Ya im not sure if the low wot fuel pressure could be due to the truck being tuned to dump way too much fuel in. Pretty much blows a cloud non stop jnder full throttle. I havent adjusted it since my fuel pressure has become normal and I notice way more smoke now since that.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:59 PM
Diesel Bomber

Yeah, you may just need to back it off a bit. Where's your AFC housing bolted down? If it's full forward, that could be most of it, or you may just need to pull some preboost fuel out of it.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:16 PM

Yeah, you may just need to back it off a bit. Where's your AFC housing bolted down? If it's full forward, that could be most of it, or you may just need to pull some preboost fuel out of it.

Ya full forward and my 100 plate is right in the middle. I know im putting way too much fuel in from the preboost screw too. Ill tweak it and see what happens. Thank you for your help

Old 07-21-2016, 03:10 AM

I'm having the same problem, also getting only 15mpg. I replaced the OFV with a tork tek, replaced the lift pump, and now my idle pressure is lower than it was. It was 20 at idle with the old lift pump but I was losing pressure at high rpm (going to zero and engine falling on it's face) after the fuel got warm and only then, so I replaced the lift pump. Now it's around 10 at idle and it doesn't idle as well or have much throttle response but the pressure at high rpm is fine. Pinching the return doesn't help. This is on a lift pump from Oreilleys. I am taking it back and putting a OEM carter on it and I hope to have 20 again at idle. I think there are inferior lift pumps being sold out there. The original one worked great for years, now I've been through 2 aftermarkets with no success from either one.

The MPG is a major concern of mine. I hear lots of other people getting 23-25 mpg and here I am at 14-15 on the highway, less in town.