12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Brake Power steering failure

Old 05-21-2016, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Power steering failure

10 months ago we had the power steering pump and Power Brake Booster changed. First was the pump and that didn't fix the brakes or the steering. Both were hard to do and now we have the same issue. I wouldn't think the power brake booster would be bad already in less then a year. Can't drive it and NEED it for work. Please help us figure out what it could be. Some say its the pump, some say the booster.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:37 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

You mean the hydroboost? Where did you get it? It sure sounds like hydroboost to me.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The technical part name is a power brake booster aka turbo boost. Some tell us it works the brakes AND power steering and others say it only works the brakes. We have looked for the receipt and had the part stores look it up in our history but we can't find where it was purchased. We believe it was Advance Auto since that is the normal place we purchase from.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:34 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Sounds like a bad rebuild. It's essentially a valve bank, and while it doesn't power both the steering and brakes, if there's a blockage you can absolutely lose both since the systems both run off the same pump. It also requires a small amount of vacuum to work, and if your vacuum pump isn't up to snuff it could be sabotaging the system as well. There should be spot on the line that runs from the vac pump to the hydroboost where you can tap in with a mechanical gauge and see what it's doing, IIRC it should be at least 22psi @ idle but don't quote me on it.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:38 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya my vacuum pump is lame and you feel it in the brakes, its a notable difference from low to high rpm though

Search this Thread