12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

First Time 12V Owner Looing for the Do's and Don'ts, Tips and Trick, Basic Info

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time 12V Owner Looing for the Do's and Don'ts, Tips and Trick, Basic Info

Hey guys, first time owning a diesel, lots of land cruisers but first time 12V'er.
My truck is a 1997 quad cab(2 door) 4x4 with the Auto, long bed, 132,000 miles.
Nearly 100% stock, only has K&N intake and fuel filter relocation kit.
Looking for basics to do and not to do to make sure this rig can make it across county in May for the Indy 500 from Denver. Just putting a motorcycle in the bed, probably not going to be towing much over the life of my ownership, has tow package but no 5thwheel. Looking to make sure it's running like a top. Sounds great(like a sowing machine right now). Looks to have been maintained well.

1. First I'll probably start with a KDP kit. What's the best kit and is this something I can do in the driveway with hand tools?

2. Can you guys tell what relocation kit I have? and what fuel filter I will need. I prefer probably fleet guard or Donaldson, Recommendations?

3. I want to get rid of the K&N and go with a large paper filter like WIX, or Donaldson ? Recommendations? What is the website with all the big filters.

4. Tranny fluid and filter? Pretty sure it's stock and original, reasonable upgrades to make? Shifts like normal, doesn't hang any shifts and no shift flares, pretty firm and crisp shifts.

5.I believe I have a Dana 70 with a 3.5xrar in the rear, what's up front, dana? Anything I need to know here. Probably just swap out the fluid.

6. Might want to add a 2500 sport front bumper, this one has seen better days, otherwise the truck is pretty spotless.

7. It seems to be a little sluggish(per my buddy) could it be the relocation kit or just a partially clogged fuel filter? leaky turbo tubing that just needs to be tightened up?

Next would be any minor upgrades on the engine or tranny side that are free or cheep without sacrificing reliability?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Attached Thumbnails First Time 12V Owner Looing for the Do's and Don'ts, Tips and Trick, Basic Info-img_1221.jpg   First Time 12V Owner Looing for the Do's and Don'ts, Tips and Trick, Basic Info-img_1218.jpg  
Old 04-28-2016, 10:05 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Any kdp kit is fine. Or you can make your own and just buy a front cover gasket and new crank seal. You will/ should replace the harmonic balancer bolts with new cummins ones or Arp as they aren't reusable. And also check out the condition of the balancer itself. If the rubber is dry and old it's a good time to replace it with a fluidamper. My suggestion anyways. You can also get rid of the k&n and get a Bhaf which is the paper farm filter that everyone uses. But to save you from having to replace it you can get a afe dry bhaf with a pre filter that's washable and never needs oiling, as well as out flowing the standard paper bhaf. There is a lot of stuff to do to insure your getting proper info for tuning and trouble shooting. Look at the beginners thread and you will get an idea how to make power and reliability. I suggest getting a fuel pressure gauge to make sure your always getting pressure and change your Ofv with a proper tork tek one. And decide if you wanna keep a mechanical lift pump or get an electric like a fass. If the stock Lp is on there it's probably soon to get tired. Also gauges are a must, egt, boost and trans temp. I suggest isspro ev2's far superior in installation and quality than autometer. That's my .02 so far. There's lots of info for the new truck owner

Old 04-29-2016, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is this beginners thread?