12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Turbo Suggestions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Suggestions Needed

Im at the final stages of converting my F350 Crew Cab (93) with a 460 to a 12v Industrial Cummins (95) from a larger chassis Ford. Im using a 4R100 that has been built up to handle the 12v. Once the turbo is on, the truck will be inspected by a CA Referee, once/if it passes, I will then start swapping out injectors, removing the fuel plate on the P7100 along with the other list of improvements.

The truck runs great so now it's time for a turbo. I've done research but there are so many suggestions, HX35/40 Hybrid, S300G, Phatshaft62 and the list goes on. I would like to keep everything simple and reliable, I use the truck for desert camping by caring my lance camper and pulling my Land Cruiser. I'm leaning towards the HX35/40 Hybrid from HT Turbo. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

95 12v Cummins
Mechanical lift pump
P7100 Injector Pump
Ford Intercooler w/ 3" connectors
3" Exhaust with a used diesel muffler (later I will go to a 4" straight pipe)

Thank you
Nick

Old 04-11-2016, 09:56 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

A phatshaft is just an over priced s300. Depends on your intended use but either a 35/40 hybrid which is cheap old technology that performs slightly better but generally a waste of time. Id got with a super b or a killer b from bd. Come with full install kits aswell as down pipes. Stay away from everything industrial injection, ats, bully dog. They are rip offs and generally a joke. Bd is one of the only major companies to get turbos from. Any other style of turbo you may want down the road look into the higher end custom turbo market. Like e.d. Or something. Id suggest afc live by power driven diesel to keep it tuned. And in fact you could go to them for your turbo as well. They are a fantastic company with lots of knowledge. Offer lots of parts ( injectors, dv's, turbos, gsk's, etc) and are not over priced or over hyped. I guess considering its in a Ford I just realized a bd turbo that comes with a down pipe might not be super advantageous. So deff talk to power driven diesel. They also have a turbo sale on right now. So it's a great time to go to them. And Id stick around the 62mm mark. The new 62/68 sxe would be a great choice for you with a internally wastgated .80 t3 I believe it is.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it but before I saw your response I had talked to Diesel Auto Power and had purchased the Super B Single. They seemed very knowledgeable, listened to every thing I had to say about the truck/engine and how it's going to be utilized. The Tech Rep gave me some suggestions on upgrades for when I'm ready. I was happy with their customer service. I will definately keep PDD in mind for when I start upgrading. My regestration came in the mail today and its due by the end of May. Once the turbo is in, I'll have to set up an appointment for the California Referee.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:55 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Dap is another great company. Great service for sure. I've done a fair amount of buisness with them and has always been a great experience.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yes dap!! talk to jacob. also on here! he set me up with a fmw ? I believe that was the name of it great guy to deal with..