12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

NV 241HD Transfer case grinding

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NV 241HD Transfer case grinding

Today I noticed a slight growl coming from my floor board near the transmission/ 4 wheel drive selector. I figured it was the transfer case fluid that was low causing this noise, I changed the fluid and I still have the same noise. It makes this noise in 4 hi lo, and even in 2 hi so my question is anyone have an idea of whats wrong with it. Thanks

Here's a link to the noise I'm talking about, I took the shifter boots off to be able to hear the sound more clearly.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:43 PM
Diesel Fan

The tranny shop I took my truck to agreed it was the transfer case...

On Friday I get a call from them saying that the new t case was in but the noise was still there. It was apparently the bearings in the trans itself. So while the trans was coming out I upgraded my clutch to a Valair 13 inch Kevlar ceramic, thank god I did there was next to nothing left on the old one.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:59 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good decision getting a nice new trans case. Hope the new kit fits perfectly.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:07 AM
Diesel Fan

Found out what the noise was after I had everything replaced, it was the ball joint of the double cardan, so I have ordered a new drive shaft from Napa

On a positive note my tranny doesn't rattle anymore, and I have a new clutch so its not all bad

Does anyone know however where I can locate a lower shift boot/ dust cover for my tranfer case/ transmission? I had made one out of a semi mudflap and drilled it onto the old dust boot. It works better than having nothing, but I still have a decent amount of road noise, and would like to replace it

Last edited by 51Hudson; 03-22-2016 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Forgot info