12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Scary engine noise please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 10:01 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scary engine noise please help

Hey guys. I'm building a 65 ford f250 with the 1990 12v 5speed 4x4. I know its not 2ND gen but 1st gen guys never responded. I bought a used engine for the project. Put a new injection pump on it and I have around 4 or 5 hours of run time on engine. Not until recently I built the exhaust and and now I can hear some sort of engine noise, like a tapping. I started cracking injectors and once I got to #6 it went away. So I put some new injectors in it and it still makes the noise. The noise is real loud at cold start up. Once the engine start warming up I don't think I can hear it anymore. You can't hear it from right on top of engine. You have to be standing by side of truck or in cab. Also I'm getting a tiny metallic sound from my bellhousing. Do you think a cracked flywheel or bad pressure plate could be causing engine noise? I have plenty of oil pressure 60-40psi, I already adjusted my valves, motor runs great, no misses at all, I'm just hoping I'm not losing a bearing or wrist pin. I pulled oil filter and there wasn't any metal in it . Mabe a lifter? Any input or ideas would be great thank everyone!

Old 02-13-2016, 11:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine had a ticking noise in the bell housing a while back. I figured that the clutch was going out but it quit ticking and everything seems to work fine still. I haven't had it apart to look at the clutch yet but probably will soon.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:04 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by six speed
Mine had a ticking noise in the bell housing a while back. I figured that the clutch was going out but it quit ticking and everything seems to work fine still. I haven't had it apart to look at the clutch yet but probably will soon.
I'm pretty sure my bellhousing noise is just a dry or bad though out bearing. It doesn't make any noise when clutch is pushed in. So it's probably in the engine. The truck engine was originally in was wrecked and it sat for years before I got it. I'm hoping it will clear up once ran awhile.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:41 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Exhaust leak?

Old 02-16-2016, 02:19 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stole the thought out of my head Jbear.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:35 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I only meant to borrow it, but once I had it in hand I... got attached to it.