12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

airbag deployed on truck Im probably buying need help

Old 02-07-2016, 09:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airbag deployed on truck Im probably buying need help

Okay so I'm looking at this 95 & the price is awesome. it is a 4x4 club cab long bed dually as a fifth wheel only has 165000 miles and has less than 10 on what he's calling the bulletproof transmission he paid 5500 for the guy tried to get 7500 out of him it has a 5th wheel renegade bumper no leaks no blow by 4 wheel drive works & besides the interior needing a cleaning and a rip in the seat it looks pretty good. Well he sent some pictures while I was taking a nap inside one thing I forgot about is the airbag deployed while I was sitting in the driveway one day.
He was asleep by the time I got up so I didn't get to ask him if he was working on it or what? If he wasn't working on it any ideas what could have caused this? I've been in 3 nasty wrecked where air bags have never deployed. Is there a way that I can safely remove the airbag and drive it? This guy seems pretty stand up and be honest. He has told me everything he can think of on the truck.He didn't have it listed on Craigslist or anything like that. The reason I have selling it is because he had bought it from an older farmer who was a short fella around 5 foot supposed to be an old man and he would grab the seat and a steering wheel to get into the truck.I've talk to him everyday for a week and doesn't seem as if he has anything to hide he's about a three hour drive away and he's more than happy to take pictures or videos of anything I want to see work or operate. Any ideas or thoughts you guys may have I would appreciate it thank you

Old 02-07-2016, 11:34 PM
Diesel Fan

http://s303.photobucket.com/user/CUTTHROATXXX/media/Mobile%20Uploads/0207161641.jpg.html http://s303.photobucket.com/user/CUTTHROATXXX/media/Mobile%20Uploads/0207161641b.jpg.html

Old 02-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

OK, I couldn't see anything in those photobucket things. Which is weird, but I digress. Point is, you don't need the airbag, and this vehicle is not sophisticated enough to know that it's supposed to be there if you lie to it. You absolutely can remove the airbag and drive it and the only thing you will have to deal with is the "airbag" light in the dash. Unless you get in an accident, and the insurance company decides not to pay anything because you removed or disabled factory installed safety equipment. You can actually get in a lot of trouble for it, which is stupid, because seatbelt technology is every bit as good today as it ever was (if not better) and seatbelts were doing the job long before airbags showed up. But as to operating the truck: no issues. I have a steering wheel from a 2010 Dodge Viper in my truck, and you can bet your *** that airbag isn't hooked up. For all I know the ignition sequence for a '98 Ram will set off the Viper's 180mph crash mode and blow me through my rear window into the bed. anyway, I don't like idiot lights on in the cluster, so I went to an electronics store and bought a resistor for like... seventy cents, stuck it in the airbag plug and wa-la: no more light. If I get in a accident I'll worry about the fallout then. I have no worries.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:29 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks, speaking of vipers I built one for a customer a while back well kind of sort of. When he brought it to me the thing was ugly and tore up with a bunch of aftermarket stuff on it and it needed a lot of glass work. even moving that thing was gnarly. the D Fosters wont even work Cummins been running for how long I don't know. but in first without barely touching the gas you're already in the back of your seat I painted it made it look real sharp if interested PM me and I can get you some before and after pics

Old 02-11-2016, 05:28 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I love those cars, especially the first gen's. This steering wheel is probably the most Viper I'll ever own though...

Search this Thread