12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Balance turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balance turbo

Hello Folks, got a weird one for ya. The truck I purchased has an old turbo on it from a gen 1 (HC1) I have gotten a HX35W but the impeller has some damage. I was going to replace this but someone brought up the point it may need to be balanced. Any input on this? Any ideas on this? If it does need to be balanced is there a place in the Pacific North West to do so ?
Thanks in advance

Old 02-02-2016, 08:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know almost zero about turbos but I do know that when things spin at any speed, they need to be balanced. I don't believe a homogenous shaft needs any balancing and I would guess that the impellers are balanced before they leave the factory. Stuff spinning really fast that are out of balance can cause problems. I'm a pilot and a prop that is slightly out of balance is really noticeable. Sorry, not much help there but there are turbo experts on this site that can certainly answer your question.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:10 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

From the factory the turbine and compressor are both balanced separately. So you can unbolt the comp wheel and install a new compressor wheel that is already balanced. That being said if it were mine I would still get the turbo balanced before I put it in.