12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

possibly kdp issue on truck Im looking @ buying

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 01:16 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possibly kdp issue on truck Im looking @ buying

Im looking @ a really nice 94 12 valve quad cab longbed.Has just about everything you could want has brand new wheels & tirss 35.12.50 20s 6 inch super lift has a banks air filter set up&box.2 new batterieshas a stall convertor lock up switch.The truck has a full mbrp exhaust.Halo hid lights The trans looks new looks a lot different than mine it has a big opening where you can see the stall.
Now here is the problem it runs&shifts great but there's oil on the bottom of the trans by where the seal is I belive.That doesn't worry me but what does is the guys pretty young &says he's only had it for less than a year & he just wants something newer & made the comment that he doesn't think that it's the kdp & the last guy who looked @ it told him it was going to be $1,500 to get it fixed when I ask him to get what fixed he said I don't know that's just what he told me.He want what I think is a very good price 7500. I know that the KDP can fall into the bottom of the gear case and oil pan if that has happened and the case is not cracked is it safe to leave it in there until I can pull the pan? I'm looking for something I can hop in and drive. And I know of a couple other trucks that don't have the goodies for the same price. So what I'm getting to is when I go back out to look at it what should I look for? I have been up for about 27 hours when I went to go look at it because I have been doing it myself custom metal work on a car for a guy. I got a 24 valve but I'm still pretty new to diesels.I know metal work & small block chevys.Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:11 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

too me any lifted truck with stuff to make it look cool is a bad sign of immaturity. and usually proper maintenances lacking and probably got a good beating on it. its missing the dust shield? thats not an issue but i wouldn't be too impressed considering someone obviously lost it. the leak is likely the rear main seal which isn't hard to change. but you gotta pull the trans. the kdp you'd only be able to tell fell out by taking the cover off or recovering it from the pan. to me 7500 american is a lot for a lifted stock truck. but maybe to you is a good price. i personally would aim for the stockist truck you could find and do the work yourself to insure its not a hack job or beat. big lift, no traction bars, probably gonna have u joint issues. front end issues from the lift more so than a stock dodge. staying away from someone else mess is usually a wise choice but some people can't help themselves when they see a lift and rims/tires so your call. diesels aren't really a get in and drive kinda deal. especially old 12 valves since tons of them have been owned by dumb kids who lift them, crank the tuning so they roll coal and make them look fancy and never do kdp or build the trans proper etc. just my .02 cents. I'm sure you could find a nice stock one to make reliable and for the cost of a stock well taken care of one and you wanted more power or whatever you could do properly on your own time knowing its done right and proper priority for upgrades are done.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:02 PM
Diesel Fan

it has traction bars and also has some kind of straps that go on the side of the coil spacers it has built transmission and I forget what size injectors he said It looks like your head and put a lot of money into it the inside is an all beat up the underside is in either its just that oil leak
he bought it from a guy who is the one who had all the work done but I agree with you about have them a stock truck and doing it right it's just Where I'm at I have limited options I'm in the middle of nowhere my truck isn't put back together yet the trans is out on my car I I know a couple people here like literally a couple just get a ride 5 Miles up the road I gotta pay somebody 20 bucks and everything that's good seems to be 5 hours away

Old 02-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

If it runs ok it is a cummins so not a hell of a lot can go wrong. If it's just leaking a bit. Not like a noticeable amount on the dip stick then it's just a typical cummins leak. If it's a huge leak you'd obviously Wanna fix it. But if that's what you want then the issues aren't going to likely wreck the truck. Id def look into the kdp asap just kuz all 12's need em fixed. And you should have a decent truck. And figure out how bad it's been beat after driving it for a while. Might be a solid truck.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WPG knows what he's talking about. The KDP got me about 6 months after buying my truck used. When I bought it, I thought I was one of the lucky ones. The truck had 107k miles on it and figured that if it didn't happen at that point, I was safe...I was wrong!. It cracked the case. I bought a new case and did the work myself and it certainly didn't cost $1500 to fix. I tried getting the pin out of the pan with a magnet but was unsuccessful. I thought maybe it would come out during an oil change...I don't think it did so it's been in the pan for 93k miles with no problems.
You can use the KDP and the statement from that other guy, that it's going to take $1500 to repair, as a bargaining chip to get the price lowered. Personally, I'd rather buy a well maintained stock truck (which I did) and make any modifications myself (which I'm starting to do now). Buying that truck is a gamble and it might be worth taking it to a reputable mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. It'll cost you some money but will be good insurance to protect you from a huge expense down the road. Also, keep in mind that this is a business deal...you HAVE to keep your emotions out of it or there's a good chance that you'll loose. There are millions of these trucks around and that one isn't the holy grail of all trucks. Pull your emotions out of the equation and base your decision on risk and price. This may be a truck that my dad would call "a sow with a silk purse"...looks good on the outside but it's still a sow.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:06 AM
Diesel Fan

I apreciate it guys I'm not really a big fan of dually's but I found a guy who has one with 160,000 miles its a 95 club cab long bed 4x4 no rush though right tenant windows interior is like new only upgrade is the wicked wheel.So I am thinking about getting it. It was not post it online I actually made a post looking for one and I fell of contacting me told me he's had it on the farm and it's just sitting needs a new steering pump but he could put it on there for me and has good tires. He's an older fella he kept trying to think of everything he could tell me about it said I might possibly need u joints said he doesn't want to steer anyone in the wrong direction because he had someone do that to him on a truck he bought before and thousands of dollars later he finally had a good truck. we've talked 3 times today he's about half a day away from me. but I'm leaning towards that truck. I figure I will do the kdp and then in the future as I get money I will lIft it myself.The only reason I started thinking more about the lifted 95 was I was able to track down the original owner and I found out off of the mileage from the truck now from when he had the transmission installed it's only got $19,000 new Transmission its built to hold 500 horsepower he's got some injectors in it forgot what they were but they want huge and in the banks cold air system the MBRP straight pipe. but I got my 99 and I can sure use $1,000 that I would save buying The dually.