12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

95 12 valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 12 valve

Howdy everybody! I've got a 95 12v with a 5spd. I run a 0 fuel plate slid forward, afc slid forward, and flywheel adjusted. I would like to get your input on what is the best set up for a goal of 500hp daily driver work truck whip yo ***. I plan on a southbound clutch to go in this week. I have already installed my egt and boost gauge and maxed my host for 35. Thanks for you input.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:48 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

You will need compounds if you want it to spool fast. A 64mm will get you 500 but you will need to tune it very well and have lots of timing, and a 66 will fairly easily get you there but both the 64 and 66 have a significant amount of lag over stock. You will need 5x12 or 5x14 injectors, I prefer sac's. Don't buy anything industrial injection because it's all over priced. Likely need delivery valves. 181 or 191 would be good or a hybrid set from a reputable company. A fass 150, can be done on a stock lp but it better be new and it won't last as long as a electric. You will need to up grade your Ofv, you will need 3 or 4 gsk, 60lb valve springs, head studs, a fly wheel to go with the clutch you get. I suggest a 3250 southbend kit with the 1 3/8 input shaft. Fix the kdp, Id go to a fluidamper if you wanna keep it reliable especially if you go with a 4gsk. Or if your stock balancer is worn out which I assume it is if it's older than like 250k that should get you close to 500. The turbo and injectors are more or less going to be the deciding factor on horse power.

The following users liked this post:
Jet A Fuel (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 08:58 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by wpg6.5
You will need compounds if you want it to spool fast. A 64mm will get you 500 but you will need to tune it very well and have lots of timing, and a 66 will fairly easily get you there but both the 64 and 66 have a significant amount of lag over stock. You will need 5x12 or 5x14 injectors, I prefer sac's. Don't buy anything industrial injection because it's all over priced. Likely need delivery valves. 181 or 191 would be good or a hybrid set from a reputable company. A fass 150, can be done on a stock lp but it better be new and it won't last as long as a electric. You will need to up grade your Ofv, you will need 3 or 4 gsk, 60lb valve springs, head studs, a fly wheel to go with the clutch you get. I suggest a 3250 southbend kit with the 1 3/8 input shaft. Fix the kdp, Id go to a fluidamper if you wanna keep it reliable especially if you go with a 4gsk. Or if your stock balancer is worn out which I assume it is if it's older than like 250k that should get you close to 500. The turbo and injectors are more or less going to be the deciding factor on horse power.
Nicely written good info here.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:24 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that was a great response!
I'm fairly new here and the things I read on this site are amazing to me. I bought my truck used (stock) in 02 and it's been a pleasure to own. Regular maintenance and just a couple bigger issues...KDP and a new P-pump...both which I took care of myself. It's amazing to me that it seems that there's no limit to what HP these engines will put out and there's no limit to how much someone can spend to get that HP. Good stuff!!

Old 01-18-2016, 04:02 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

Over the past few years with the advancements made 400 to 500 HP has become fairly easy and fairly cheap compared to just a few years ago.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:57 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12VALVE...I've been noticing that. The potential of this engine is amazing to me. It seems to be a brick house. I haven't read a single post saying that if a person wants 500 hp out of this engine, they need to balance the crank, get modified pistons, rods...etc. The things I've been reading show that a person can spend nothing or up to 10K on this engine depending on what HP they're looking for. The core of the engine can handle whatever anybody wants and is willing to do or spend...based on their needs. Gas engines don't have that luxury.

Jet A Fuel (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 08:04 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Kirk
12VALVE...I've been noticing that. The potential of this engine is amazing to me. It seems to be a brick house. I haven't read a single post saying that if a person wants 500 hp out of this engine, they need to balance the crank, get modified pistons, rods...etc. The things I've been reading show that a person can spend nothing or up to 10K on this engine depending on what HP they're looking for. The core of the engine can handle whatever anybody wants and is willing to do or spend...based on their needs. Gas engines don't have that luxury.
Gas motors really don't. The main reason for the lack of balancing is there is one rod per throw on the crank. Not sharing a throw with another rod and having a main bearing on either side of the rod gives a lot of forgiveness. That being said balancing or adding a better damper is always a good thing but not needed for most goals. The crank is actually balanced very well from the factory, the rods on the other hand vary.

The motor can support a good amount of power in stock form but it does have its limits. Those limits vary depending on what the truck is being used for.

Jet A Fuel (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 09:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Here are some great extreme power videos that are insane.
https://www.dieselbombers.com/bomb-s...orsepower.html

Old 01-18-2016, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wpg6.5

Man thanks do much for taking the time to explain all that. I already had in my head sac injectors but haven't read anything on changing the delivery valve but now I see that's common sense. I also know about the studs, 60lb valve springs. What replacement balancer would you recommend? My kdp is secure and will prolly go with 4gsk. Another question is the tuning, I know nothing about it if you could recommend a article or have any knowledge if this that I could use. Thanks again for all you information!

Old 01-19-2016, 08:12 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I've used fluidamper with success. Many people like ati. I personally like my fluidamper. Both are similar price. As for tuning I use afc live from power driven diesel. Makes it nice and easy on the fly tuning. You may want a Mack rack plug to help you get a bit of extra fuel aswell out of the 175 pump. And defiantly go with compounds if you want to tow and have it streetable. And depending on the set up you go with it wont be crazy expensive. 500hp with a single is going to be laggy and if you wanna tow with it it won't be ideal.