12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

AMP power steps

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 06:28 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMP power steps

So after getting new tires ( 315 75 R16) Goodyear Duratracs, my stupid self thought that the running boards I had on would be fine with the new tires. I didn't even get to drive my truck a Walmart employee drives it out of the bay, turns the wheel full lock and the sound of a dying tire occurred. The running board on the passengers side sliced a 3/8 deep cut into the sidewall where the tread and sidewall meet. Long story short buy tires at Walmart and spend the 10 bucks on the road hazard warranty, because I got the tire replaced and got to keep the old one.

Anyway so I drove my truck back to my place and took the running boards off and threw them out I got them on a trade for some of those Bully single steps. Now me being the short 5'5''-5'6'' guy I am I needed something to get in my truck. The bottom of the floor is at my hip so current getting in my truck must be entertaining to watch.

I ruled out nerf bars because I do a lot of gravel driving and I don't want to look at them in a year all dented up. The steps were okay but the people in the front could get in but when I had to get people in the back they couldn't just climb in they had to do this weird shimmy thing to get in. So I remembered seeing ads for the AMP power step, so I looked into it sadly they didn't make it for our trucks.

A little digging and I found that on Amazon TyCa Industries makes a adapter kit for the Amp power steps for the 2002-2009 Ram 2500-3500 Quad cabs. I have gotten the boards in so far and the Postal service will be delivering the Adapter kit on Monday. I have done the wiring today which was simple, the door switches are self grounding so in the kit you get a magnet switch that I need to install.

After I get them in I'll post pictures to help anyone else who is interested in purchasing these steps, also sorry for the long post

Old 12-12-2015, 10:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always wanted a set of dinkered steps with good hinges and motors to make into chain steps.

Other things have taken priority, But it's still happening. So this is relevant

Old 12-14-2015, 10:27 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

We carry the Tyca steps. BESTOP Powerboard is also about $100 less.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:37 PM
Diesel Fan

Sorry for not posting in a while, due to the holidays and visiting family.
I have not even completed this install due to, two separate reasons, which I will cover later.
If you purchase the TYCA adapters, as per instructions you will be instructed to locate the two furthest body plug holes on both rocker panels respectively. You will then have to drill two 3/8ths inch holes and then connect them, either with a drill bit, grinder attachment or a dremmel. I didn’t have a dremmel so I had to use a grinder attachment for a dremmel, and it took forever to get the holes to connect. After that is completed you will take the supplied body mount reinforcement nut and insert it with the bracket and tighten, then drill the hole in the bottom of the drip rail and then that is one mount installed.
That took one hour to do.
What I did, and hate me if you want to for “cutting corners” I used 3 self-tapers and the supplied bolt in the drip rail. To ensure strength I had me and my friend jump on the running board to make sure it could hold at least 475 pounds which is fine by me.
After that hiccup the install went smoothly, except the motor for the driver’s side will hit the parking brake cable, you can push the cable up to the floor board and the motor will clear so that you can align it, after that it will clear as it sits.
After everything was hooked up and I attached the power to the cables, the running boards didn’t do anything they didn’t go up nor down. Turns out the control unit was bad. The control unit was bad in a brand new system. So AMP with their great customer service sent me out a new one after we tried trouble shooting. I have not hooked this up yet as I have been out of town.
My last gripe is the door switches provided by TYCA industries they give you some kind of antitheft magnetic switch which looks like hell, and doesn’t seem like it will hold up. I am instead removing the magnetic switch and replacing it with this simple door jamb switch from Napa (part no ECH DJ6681) I’ll drill a hole through the door jamb and use a bolt to ground out the switch since this door switch is using a grounding system to activate the steps.
I hope everyone had a good Christmas and a happy new year

Old 04-27-2017, 11:07 PM
Diesel Fan

Digging this one up from the grave. I finally got a video of the steps working, and a long term review.