12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Stock injector ratings

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock injector ratings

So I have searched around for awhile but you know how these forums get out of hand. So I got an automatic with a zero plate 4inch turbo back exhaust and a cool air and capped waste gate line has a tc switch. How much power can will these injectors make? I buried my boost to the 40 psi marker wich is max. Will my turbo hold up running max fuel or should I turn my pump down How bout my head? I got arp studs in my garage I just haven't gotten around to putting them in. Just curious to what I can get this Thang making with out tearing into her and being some what safe

Old 12-06-2015, 11:45 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

You can push the stock turbo close to 400hp but it's not gonna last long. If you have a power level in mind let us know and we can give you a list of things to get there and live reliably. Gonna need studs at some point, better valve springs, a 4 gsk. A better turbo of some sort so it's running properly. Stock injectors aren't bad. Depending which pump your truck came with. A nice set of 5x12 either sac or vco ( I prefer sac) will get you What I'm sure your goal is

Old 12-06-2015, 03:46 PM

I don't really have a goal just getting what I can out of the truck without buying a bunch of parts. I got studs sitting at home waiting to be put in. I hooked my waste gate back up so I'm pushing 37 psi now. I would like an after market turbo something that'll lower my egts a bit but still spool like the stock one. But have a higher hp rating an boost rating. I just ordered 150 hp injectors from Industrial on black Friday 40% off. But I'm saving them till I can afford to drop an allison in

Old 12-06-2015, 03:52 PM

I don't need the power I just like to have it just in case. And as far as valvle springs go I'll wait to put them in when I do injectors turbo and tranny. No need to do them till I have all my parts ready. Whenever that might be

Old 12-06-2015, 09:10 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

why would you want an allison when the stock trans can be built much stronger and shifts faster? and fits 100% stop. 150"hp" injectors will definitely boost you feeling level a lot and are needed for a lot higher hp then no intended goal. stock spool is nearly impossible. a small housing 62mm would spool alright compared to stock, or a modded he351 spools very fast. with 5x14 you'll have enough injector for well 500+ hp so hopefully you've become a bit knowledgeable with the afc and tuning

Old 12-07-2015, 02:38 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't need those injectors.

From what I've learned in the last year, an hx35 is pushing hard above about 33psi. At that point if you bark the thing or beat on it you're rolling dice on breaking something that can damage much more than itself.

I'd take the money on the injectors that I'd be returning, and put that towards a turbo that will run what you want to run. Most entry level turbos for the 6bt are rebranded/packaged borgwarner s300s as I recall.

I don't know the exact size to tell you to run. But I am sure another, more knowledgeable member can point you correctly.

If you want earlier fueling (and thus, ealier boosting), it's all in the pump. The p7100 is in a league of its own in how it can affect the engine it is bolted to. The knowledge out there on how to **** about with one is immeasurable. Look up how to modify the AFC, and do that. You don't need massive injectors on these. A set of mild injectors (5x.012) compared to stock (5x.009 ) will do big things.

From there, the governor springs are another thing. These control how much fuel you get. In a stock application, the springs reach maximum potential at 2500 and do not allow rpm past 2700 as I recall it.

If you get a set of springs that allows the engine to run at, say, 4,000rpm, it fuels harder down low in order to get up high. In short, ya get a little more attitude everywhere. These are cheap. I think a 4000rpm set is 250 bucks?

However, those require some upgrades to the valve train. The stock valve train runs into the potential for valve float at 3250rpm. A set of "60lb" valve springs ( that is, 60lb more than stock) is cheap cheap, and extends that horizon to I believe 3700. To run 4,000rpm consistently, you'll need 135lb springs, and I believe stronger pushrods. I believe 60 pounders are about 100 bucks, and 135 pounders are about 300, with pushrods running about 300 as well. The nice part about this stuff is that it doubles as a reliability upgrade.
If you do springs/rods, you should also do tappets. I believe colt cams sells them for 120 bucks a set. But don't quote me.

Delivery valves and the rest, I know little about. My truck is stock beyond 5x.012 injectors. I have been doing many things besides the engine since I bought it.

Up until you're running about 350hp, these things are cheap and easy to play with. I have a friend with a 97 7.3 that does about 450 I believe at the wheels. It's... it's ornery to drive. Hateful thing.

He's got nearly or about 5 digits into the engine.

With a healthy engine to start, you can get that from a 6bt with less than 3 grand if you can do the work yourself, and insist on buying new.

Last edited by Slim Whitey; 12-07-2015 at 02:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jkidd (12-11-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 10:42 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Bigger turbo would give you a lot better power up top and be more efficient. If you didnt need them before the 150HP injectors you will now!

62/68/14 would be as small as I would go. Much better than the stock turbo and priced well.