12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

HELP! NV4500 problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! NV4500 problem!

So on my way home as I hit my driveway I pushed the clutch in and it went straight to the floor. And never came back up. When I got home I pulled the clutch back to its original position and pushed it back to the floor. But there is no resistance to it. And it gets stuck for some reason. I didn't look at it at all because I'm freakin tired hungry and it's getting dark. Anyone have this problem? Or no what it might be? By the way I did do the manual swap to. I had a well known diesel shop do all the work on it less than a year ago. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:49 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

It could be many things
1: The clutch hydraulics failed at the master cylinder or the slave cylinder,check for any leaks in the line connections from the master to the slave cylinder. Check fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir.

2: Check your linkage to the clutch pedal there is a small cheap *** clip and plastic bushing that holds the master cylinder rod to the clutch pedal.

3: I have seen the plastic **** worn off inside the bell housing that holds the throw out bearing clutch fork. This usually causes very sloppy clutch operation and some people will adjust for the slop by extending the rod on the slave cylinder. I will attach a pic of this.

4: If any abnormal noise was heard you may have a throw out bearing that disintegrated.
It is always my recommendation to put the truck in neutral at a stop light rather than ride the clutch as this unloads the bearing and extend the life of the throw out bearing 1000%.

Last edited by Jet A Fuel; 10-10-2015 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:26 PM
Diesel Fan

I found the problem. Nothing major. It was that long black plastic piece. It popped outside the cab of the truck somehow. Mine looks a little different than the one you have pictures of "the 5th picture you posted is what I'm talking about" yours looks like it bolts in place? But mine has 4 little ears that are kinda worn out. What is that thing called? I might need a new one.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The part that goes into the fire wall on the truck was like that on my 97. It just sticks back in there and turns a little to lock it in. It's pretty hard to turn.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is the Slave cylinder. A new one from dodge is $405 so I would try to put that one back in.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Diesel Bomber

I think the picture got chopped off a little the items in picture 5 on the left is the slave and the one on the right is the master. They are the same on most the 1st and 2nd gen dodges the master twists and locks in the firewall.
A good upgraded assembly can be purchased from Valair or southbend or just request a price quote on a vendor thread on here:
Price Quote - Request A Price - Diesel Bombers

Old 10-12-2015, 10:31 AM
Diesel Fan

Well thanks for the help. That was the problem. The little ears on slave were so worn down that when I pushed the clutch in the hole thing got pushed threw the firewall. I'm not sure how those numbs get worn down like that though? I mean that part isent really moving??

Old 10-12-2015, 10:54 AM
Diesel Bomber

The thing your talking about is the master it supplies pressure to the slave cylinder down on the bell housing. I can only guess why it came loose perhaps it was changed sometime back and didn't get locked in good. It takes a good twist to lock it in and never heard of one coming loose. I would replace the assembly soon. It would suck to have a clutch engage all of the sudden and not be able to stop.