12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Exhaust brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 12:58 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust brake

1996 12 valve 5spd manual. I have been reading a little bit about exhaust brakes but my question is has anyone herd of or had any negative effects from using one? Any upgrades that should be done before getting one?

Old 10-02-2015, 08:11 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Valvesprings.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:28 PM
Default Negative Effects

Originally Posted by Momo12valve
1996 12 valve 5spd manual. I have been reading a little bit about exhaust brakes but my question is has anyone herd of or had any negative effects from using one? Any upgrades that should be done before getting one?
If you buy one from BD Diesel and they keep making promises it'll work on your 12 valve like they've done to me the past 2 year less a week only to realize listening to them it still doesn't work nor will it ever has only cost me about $2000 and then to have them tell me yes it's building good back pressure so what more do you want it to do. Are you kidding me. Insultive techs and have lead me on until now when my warranty is a week away from expiring, now their team is showing their true colours amd standing behind their system not working other than a bunch of noise. Every single thing they suggested I do over the past 2yeard to make the POS work, including purchasing another brand new brake assy at another $600+, the told me tonight I should consider buying another truck and when I mentioned how disappointing and the time and frustration this has been, their tech told me " he wasn't going to be my emotional counsellor"

Hopefully you stay well clear of these clowns and avoid the mockery, frustration and financial inconvenience they've brought to me

Old 10-15-2015, 09:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You will need #60 valve springs, might as well do intake and exhaust while you are in there, that way you are good to get a higher gov spring. I am in the process of installing a Pacbrake, I'll let you know how it turns out but it will probably another 2 weekends before I'm done.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by RedChevy44
You will need #60 valve springs, might as well do intake and exhaust while you are in there, that way you are good to get a higher gov spring. I am in the process of installing a Pacbrake, I'll let you know how it turns out but it will probably another 2 weekends before I'm done.
We have 60# exhaust springs and 3GSK amongst a ton of other quality upgrades but I'm some disappointed with this BD Brake and they assired the whole time they would help me make this thing work as they said it would and now that I'm a week away from warranty they basically hung the phone up on me tonight. That's lousy service and will never recommend them to anyone. Hope you have great luck with the Pac Brake.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Gearhunkie, I am the customer service supervisor here at BD Diesel Performance. I would like to know who you spoke with and everything about what you have checked all ready. I'm just going into a meeting right now but if you could call me in an hour I would really like to hear your story and try and fix the situation.

Regards,

Hector McLean 1-800-887-5030 ext 106

Old 10-16-2015, 06:05 PM
Diesel Bomber

Yeah, this is the first bad thing I've ever heard about a BD product. I'm a little surprised.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

i have had a exhaust brake on my ol 91.5 for years and it still works. some guys call them just a noise maker but i like mine. no exhaust brake is real strong like a jake brake on a big truck but they will brake enough to help when towing. the higher the rpms the better they work.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:18 AM
Diesel Bomber

We have an '07 Ram chassis-cab in our fleet with a 6.7 and the factory exhaust brake, it works fantastic. Apples and oranges perhaps, but then, I don't really understand how they work either.

The only thing with our generation trucks that I can think would stop it from working is the transmission, as the TC unlocks the second you take your foot off the throttle. Again- I don't really understand how an exhaust brake works, but it seems like this would cancel out most of it's ability to do anything. If that's true, the very obvious solution of course is a lockup switch. You don't have any engine braking without one in these trucks, and my limited understanding of an exhaust brake is that it's steroids for your engine braking.

That all having been said, I'm also under the impression that first gens don't have a lockup convertor at all, yet diesel pap seems to be running one on his 91.5 just fine; but I'm sure there's more to that story than I know as well.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:46 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

my 91 is a 5 speed.

Quick Reply: Exhaust brake