12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Trans temp

Old 06-10-2015, 07:42 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trans temp

I know I'm probably going to get mixed opinions. That's actually what I'm looking for. Where is the best place for a trans temp sensor? I've heard several different places. Please include your reasoning with your opinion. And how long you have used this location. TIA.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

After exhaustive research here (many moons ago), I was led to believe that a particular test plug on the transmission was the [second] best place, due to the clearance on moving parts inside that particular area. I forget which one. Regardless, when I blew that trans up, the guy who built my next one showed me a spot on the sensor where something inside had in fact been making contact with it. Ergo, I did not continue using that location. The most popular suggestion here was to splice it into the hot side line going out to the trans cooler, as it was allegedly the most accurate. So for round 2, I did that. It was a royal PITA. Later I ended up having my final trans built, and replaced all the lines and coolers along with it. This time, I went with a vented deep pan on the trans, which conveniently included a sensor bung. This was by far the best option, at least for convenience. I got the pan on Amazon for something silly like $150 shipped including the dropped pickup, which probably isn't necessary unless you rock climb or something. Interestingly, I drove tens of thousands of miles on the first two locations, and well over 100K with the sensor in the pan, and my temp readings are so consistent between the three that I can't tell if there's a difference. IMO, if it's accuracy you're after, it doesn't matter. I say get a deep pan with a bung, if you use your truck in such a way that trans temp concerns you then you should have one anyway.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:55 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

I agree with JbearSVT .. in pan is the only location I would go .. the out going "Hot" line is directly from converter and is likely going to give a false "HOT" trans temp ... IN pan is a consistent way of knowing what's really being seen by the rest of your trans parts ..

Old 06-19-2015, 05:17 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So needless to say, the best temperature to read is that of which is being sucked into the transmission to bath the parts rather than see what's coming out.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:23 PM
Diesel Bomber

Exactly what were sayin ..

Old 06-19-2015, 05:59 PM
Diesel Bomber

I'm sayin if you pay attention to your gauge, it doesn't matter where you put it you'll see a problem long before it goes catastrophic.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:56 PM
Diesel Bomber

but temps will alert you to a plugged cooler and such .. been there done that

Old 06-20-2015, 06:18 AM
Diesel Bomber

Indeed. Heat being the big killer for these trannys, (well, aside from forcing way to much torque through them, like a bull in a china shop) they can take a surprising amount of it. But that doesn't mean they should, and the heat damage is compounded over time. If you notice it's hotter than it should be, it will probably be ok. If you notice it's hotter than it should be when it's been that hot for a half hour, it probably won't. The key is to know what's normal for most given conditions, and then be constantly vigilant.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:13 PM
Diesel Bomber

if you see over 150* .. u need more cooler .. this from my trans guy I have been working with at SunCoast .. they got my trans shifting like a Boss now !!!

Old 06-22-2015, 06:17 PM
Diesel Bomber

No amount of cooler would keep me under 150 all the time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans temp