12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

new guages

Old 05-28-2015, 03:36 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default new guages

Ok folks I just installed a set of guages on my 96. I purchased the tru glow triple pillar pod with the boost, trans temp, and exhaust temp guages. Now that I have them installed I have a few questions. But before I do here are some mods I have done. I have stage 3, 100hp injectors, no fuel plate, star wheel is maxed out, wix bhaf, and my exhaust is 3 and a half diameter from the turbo to just behind the cab with 5" Y pipe and 6" stacks.
1: at peak boost on the guage I am pushing 42psi. Is this safe? If not what should I do to change it?
2: at 70mph my exhaust temp at a cruise hovers around 950° to 1000°. I have done a Google search and what I found was said was as long as it stays below 1300° that it is safe and a higher spike for several seconds is safe. Is this correct? If not, what is?
3: a idealistic transmission temp is between 175° and 225°. Mine climbs a bit higher when in traffic. I have a larger aftermarket cooler that I have installed in the stock position with a few modifications. Will installing a small electric fan on a toggle help this problem.
This is it for right now and think you for looking. Thanks in advance for any good feedback.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:40 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Most people will say 42psi on the stock turbo isn't safe. I, however, ran the stock turbo over 40psi for well over 100K and had zero problems, and it was still tight and working perfectly when I took it off to upgrade. Your call.

Your EGT seems a bit high to me. Yes, theoretically under 1300° is "safe", but IMO averaging anything over 1000° without at least a trailer to justify it is excessive. And if your cooling system has seen better days like mine has, maintaining even 1100° for more than a few minutes will start raising the coolant temp. I like to see 6-800° on the highway, no more than 850° pushing up a hill and 4-500° coasting down the backside. I suggest you bump your pump timing up in the 16-18° range, that will help. You can get away with more, but start there. I'd also step up to a 4" downpipe.

225° is hot. Not meltdown hot, but you don't want it getting up that high. For some reason, these autos have two "coolers", one which is sharing the coolant with the engine. The primary purpose of this is to bring the trans up to temp when it's cold, but I don't want my trans running the same temp as my engine. Unless I'm spending a ridiculous amount of time in traffic, mine never gets anywhere near 200°. The main thing I found that helped with this is a lockup switch, which prevents the slipping of the torque convertor that makes so much heat. It's of limited usefulness in traffic, and if you lug it than you have EGTs to contend with instead, but it's a balancing game. I don't usually see more than 175° in full summer traffic, and as soon as I'm rolling it's down under 150° in no time. A large volume cooling pan helps. I haven't heard of much success being had with electric fans, but that doesn't mean there's no advantage to them. Maybe someone else will chime in.

The following users liked this post:
Jet A Fuel (05-29-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 07:15 AM
Diesel Fan

I have deleted the cooler that runs through the cooling system. I'm thinking that my torque converter might be breaking down because I've noticed some vibration when it goes into lockup. The tranny shifts fine though. What did you do to hook up a manual lockup switch? I'm thinking about installing my #2 plate back in the IP to see if that helps with EGT. The 4" downpipe will come a little later. The 42psi is only when I punch the accelerator in lockup. It's not a constant occurrence. When I'm taking off from a stop even with a load I'm not pushing no more that 34psi unless I do punch it. And a cruise down the highway at 70mph it sets at a constant 7-9psi unless Im climbing a hill.

Last edited by casper83; 05-29-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:58 PM
Diesel Fan

I have now installed the #002 fuel plate and my egts are quite a bit lower. Haven't taken it on the highway yet but around town it stays almost 300 ° lower. And my turbo boost at peak doesn't get above 33psi.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:35 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Highway is where you will put it to the test. But I'd say, if it doesn't feel like too much of a kick in the nuts, keep it.