12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Things to watch for on 1997

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things to watch for on 1997

Hey everyone. I am new here and looking to buy my second diesel (My first was an 06 ford 6.0 which blew up after the EGR went to hell). SO now I am looking for the most reliable and simple diesel I can get my hands on. According to all the research I have done the truck which fits in my price target of 6-10k is the 2nd gen 12v or early 24v trucks.

I have found a 4x4 ext cab long bed, auto tranny, with just over 200k miles for around 8 grand. The guy claims he replaced the tranny with "a heavy duty one" and the engine is not modded. The truck has very little rust on it considering it has spent even one winter in northern wisconsin.

My question is... What are the things to look for on this truck which will make it an automatic pass? I know about the killer dowel pin already. and I am not concerned about a cracked dash as I will be mostly using it to tow boats under 10k and as a daily driver 5 miles to work. But I would be concerned about having to put 3k into it just to drive it home.

Thanks

Dan