12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

needing some things for my truck and random Q's

Old 03-14-2015, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default needing some things for my truck and random Q's

i have a 97 2500 auto and was looking to make some more power but keep it reliable. all that is done to the truck is a k&n and intake a newer stock turbo. I know i should get 4 inch from the turbo back. I am thinking i need new injectors for the truck mostly to due with the fact that when stomped to the floor i get black and blue smoke. i thought i was burning oil but oil never seems to move for how much it blows. just leaks from random parts( next project). so i was gonna order up some 80hp injectors but being somewhat new to diesel haven't a clue of what kind to go. Also what timing is needed and all that fun crap. iam in highschool but work almost if not more than most fuel time people . dont have deep pockets but i can save up. looking for cheaper things but nothing to destroy the truck. i know the autos suck in these trucks so what is needed there to keep it going with added power? iam lost just needing some guildess.i have a 195xxx miles on the truck with new front end and rear end. also first post on here so be gentle and i dont know all the key words so dumb it down if needed

Old 03-15-2015, 06:06 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

With these trucks, you will likely lose drivability long before you lose reliability. I drive my truck for work and pleasure to the tune of 5,000 mi. every 3-4 weeks, usually hours from home with no thought to if I'll make it back. There isn't much that can go wrong with them that you can't patch up and limp home with basic hand tools and some general spare parts.
IMO, the first thing to address is the trans, which is a slippery subject. Some guys do fine with a nearly stock trans behind ridiculous power, others of us *cough* have been known to blow up built units that cost more than their trucks are worth. It all depends on how you drive it, what you use the truck for, how good the person was who put it together, the weather in the clock, etc. With a stock turbo in daily driver conditions (if you drive like a sane adult) you should be fine with a good billet single disc convertor and built valve body depending on how much power you make. That's a significant chunk of change right there even if you do the work yourself, but until your trans is making some line pressure and has parts that will hold it, it doesn't matter how much power you make because it'll never see the ground.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:13 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

before anything i agree tackle the trans, then the sky is the limit. for now just basic tuning and fuel mods, get gauges. ditch the k&n filter and keep the tube and put on a bhaf or the are dry bhaf with a pre filter. oiled filters are no good for turbos. but for now save for a tranny and aim higher then your power goals with the trans build because that will be the limiting factor. buddies race truck i work on has a 900 plus horse capable all billet trans and the power goals for the truck is 650 on fuel and maybe 750 on no2 so he will always have room to grow and where the trans won't be the weak link.