12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Cold air intake and elbow upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cold air intake and elbow upgrades.

Looking to up grade from stock to s and b cold air intake stage 2 and afe intake elbow. Any one running this set up or something similar?

Old 01-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

don't waste your money on either product. Get a Afe dry BHAF and thats all you will need as for intake. from your sig it says your truck is stock, "air mods" do nearly nothing and for a price tag of 600$ ish its not worth the gain over other products. firstly id learn to do all the free tuning, grind the plate to a 0 and tune it with that, adjust the afc and do the mods if you want more fuel. depending on your goals there are a ton more options and you can get a lot more for 600$. a boost elbow, tuning and a 3 or 4gsk will get you way more then those intake parts and only cost 300$, gives you another 300$ or so to put into more parts or saving for a turbo.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:48 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I wouldn't say air mods do nothing. With an otherwise completely stock truck I dropped my EGT and raised my boost with nothing more than a BHAF. Not enough to write home about mind you, but enough to be clearly certain by my gauges that it made a difference. IIRC it cost me about $60 at NAPA.
Things are far from stock and have been for quite some time now, but I've replaced my BHAF twice in the last four years and haven't regretted the choice yet. That having been said, I will agree that this particular $600 is a waste of money. By all means, put a BHAF on there, but don't expect it to blow your mind. And rest assured that the returns from the S&B CAI and AFE S2 will be impossible to differentiate from the gains of a $40 Fleetguard BHAF on sale at Fleet Pride. When you've done everything else that matters and want something under your hood that looks spiffy, think about it then. IMO though, there will always be something else to spend $600 on that matters more.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

sorry, they don't do exactly nothing. but like you said not enough to really tell between putting in a good filter. it make do a bit more on a high horsepower truck, but moneys best spent somewhere else. Look up the Afe BHAF, and get the dry type. supposed to flow double the original paper bhaf at 800 cfm vs 400 ish. get that with a pre filter and you will never need to replace it and just clean the pre. then save the other 500$ for something else.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

^ what he said.