12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Rear freeze plug block off plate install

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear freeze plug block off plate install

Any body here ever installed the rear freeze plug block off plate without removing trans? I'm trying to do my coolant bypass with the plate but don't need to spend a lot of time removing the trans as it is my daily driver. I do plan on replacing all the smaller coolant hoses at the same time as well as resealing the exhaust manifold so I'm hoping with all the extra room I'll be able to squeeze back there and install the plate.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:45 AM
Diesel Fan

Yeah it can be done without removing trans. The main issue is getting the old plug out with little room. Once its out installing the plate is simple. Good luck.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 78F250Cummins
Yeah it can be done without removing trans. The main issue is getting the old plug out with little room. Once its out installing the plate is simple. Good luck.
Well I have a plan on getting the old plug out with a buddy for assistance take a long section of small bar steel and come from the bottom and have the buddy guide me to the bottom of the plug so I can knock it sideways and then just pull it out the part I was concerned with was getting to the drivers side bolt and how well will that oring seal and if I should use a little sealer for a little but more of a seal

Old 11-09-2014, 07:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i haven't done the back one yet(it's still riding in the back floorboard), but my side plugs sealed very well with just the o-rings. i haven't had leak yet.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:44 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

its better to just pull the head and get a good high Quality HG and studs, that way you know everything is clean and tight ..

Doing the rear plug in truck .. that takes a ton of skills and tools and specific knowledge of how its "Supposed to be done" .. not only that .. by pulling the head you get an Idea of where your Cylinders are as far as wear and can look at the head for hot spots .. I am doing some blending and mild porting on mine when its apart ..