12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

to keep or not to keep

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to keep or not to keep

Ok sooo ive had my 97 12 valve for going on 4 years and im running suber b special 5x16 injectors 024 dvs 0 plate head stud valve springs raptor 4k gs 100 psi boots ram intake suncoast with triple disc ive done alotta front end work upper lower ball joints sway bar bushings new power steering pump fuel shut off sylenoid new batteries just maint stuff but when Truck was un modded didnt have near any probs and i statted modding everything i dont drive it hard its a my dd thats the problem but it just always to seem to have.problems and it was my only to.do thing was to build my truck 19-21 had fun by all means but i just dont trust the truck to drive any where because ive had so many problems along the way and im just wondering in personal opinions will there ever be a threshold where my truck becomes reliable dd again or should i sell it and look for something newer its a nice truck new paint job etc just kinda grew up is there anyone else out there dd a reliable modded 12 valve just thinking it might be time to let go but at the same time i dont want to

Old 10-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

It's only as reliable as the quality of the work that's been done and the knowledge of the person who's maintaining it. I drive mine an average of 1300 miles a week, as it sits in my sig. Much of that is with a trailer, towing way more than Dodge ever intended it to pull, often hours from home. I won't say it doesn't have problems, but I can say it has never let me down. And I've spent enough time in our considerable fleet of all newer, lower mileage and less modded (most of them completely stock) trucks from the big three, and none of them have proven to be as what I consider to be reliable as my old 12V. There isn't much that goes wrong that I can't fix on the road with basic tools and/or redneckery, and I have a 12V guru doing most of my serious work now so potential issues are seen far enough in advance to not have a problem. Truth is, these trucks are just as reliable modded to the hilt as they are bone stock, if not more so. That said, a little common sense goes a long way, and if you drive your modded truck like an idiot, get ready to pay the idiot's price. And if it isn't being maintained properly, or regularly seen by someone who knows wtf they're doing, it isn't going to be reliable either. You get what you give.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:30 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

I agree.. my truck is about 300Hp .. I run the heck out of mine .. BUT .. I also am under the truck looking a least once a weel .. ( Just in case ) .. and I check it over 2-3 times a week under hood ..

I DD mine and its soon to be Compounded and pushed up to around 400 .. then I will see it in the shop more often for the first bit ..

Also .. Fix things before its an issue .. if you just fo the ( Oh it will be ok for now ) .. that is never tha case ..

Mine has never left me road side .. Thus far of course