12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Looking to buy '98 12v

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input everyone. Getting it this weekend, 10.5. Hopefully I'm posting here more often, but not too often. I want to make a little more power, safely and reliably and not skip steps.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll hate you if you get it for that. A quad cab with all that free power.
Hope it works out for you. Sounds like a sick truck. Pretty jealous. The holy grail of dodge cummins trucks.
Killer dowel pin if it hasn't been done yet, and gauges, intake, and exhaust.

Last edited by yjay; 07-28-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Diesel Fan

I apologize if this is the wrong way to go about this, but I have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 3.0 CRD (turbo diesel) motor for sale now. Let me know if you are interested.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:42 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck man

Old 08-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Diesel Fan

Update:
Picked it up this last Sunday, worst buying experience I've ever had. The guy I was talking to the whole time tells me Friday afternoon that he's not involved any more. I find out later he is now a former employee of the guy I bought it from. I had about 30 minutes Friday evening to round up about half the purchase price because the new guy I was dealing with won't accept a cashier's check (wth?).
Now, I have to drive to Las Vegas on a Sunday because they now won't drive it to Salt Lake (per original agreement) and it turns out that's not even the worst of it.
If you read the truck description in the first post, this should be an awesome looking truck, regardless that it's 16/17 yo. There are numerous spots of rust (none that bad though), the rear driver's side fender had a diy attempt at fixing some paint/damage along with a spot on the front driver's side fender, the left side of the rear bumper had been bumped just enough to bend the metal below the taillight so the tailgate doesn't fit. Of course it has the normal imperfections on the rest of the body and trim, I was expecting that.
Inside, I was told that the driver's seat had a tear, it's more like tore up. Needs recovered if not some new cushions. The center console and passenger seat were better, but not great. Bad: non-working front driver's door speaker, fuel gauge not always working, non-working power mirrors, broken antenna, broken vent.
Not sure how I feel about the grill guard and side steps. It had an extra tank/tool box in the bed, the hose is still there and I'm not sure how to remove it.
Mechanically, it drives straight, but there seems to be a little more slop in the steering than there should be. It grinds going into 3rd, they tried to tell me that the clutch (new btw) just needs adjustment, I'm not sure I buy that. It also has the 5th gear that pops out which is really annoying. I was told it was bone stock, but I could see that it has a RBHAF with a plastic bucket shield on the turbo side. It seems to smoke a little more than it should (doesn't really bother me, but I know that's fuel=$). So now I need to find out if anything else has been changed.
All in all, I think I got a good price for a good truck, but I thought I was buying a great truck at a great price. I need to sell me Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel first before I can start doing too much to it, but I look forward to building this the right way.
Thanks for everyone's input and help with this. I'll update the status of my build when I can.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:07 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

can u post some pics ?

what did u end up paying ?

I gave 5500 .. they wanted 7500 .. and I tore that up real fast ..

Old 08-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

This situation has taken a profound turn. Not saying it isn't still worth getting, only that the original agreement seems to have been based largely on falsehoods. First off: a stock truck doesn't really smoke. Maybe the stick shifts are different than the autos, with full lockup pretty much anywhere you want it and slightly more aggressive DVs (someone correct me if I'm wrong here), but still- I just don't think the fuel is there with the stock pump settings to do more than haze a little at most at WOT. Second, "shifts smooth" implies that there's nothing wrong with the trans, and I don't think grinding into one gear and popping out of another is normal operation. Clutch needs adjusting? I don't buy it. Then: no rust =/= "numerous, but not bad". It's all bad. If I read "clean interior" and showed up to find a completely trashed driver's seat, I'd be pissed. It doesn't make him a liar, it just makes him a douche. Also, tailgate doesn't fit =/= straight body, but I'm starting to nitpick here. Some slop in the steering isn't terribly unusual, even with the redone front end and even with all the Luke's Links. There's still a steering gearbox stabilizer to be done- if it doesn't have one- to take some more of the inherent design flaw out of the equation, and over a quarter-million miles without one probably means the box has some slop in it anyway. Not the end of the world. Mine has had some slop in it for over 200K. It's annoying, but fully driveable, and improving it is pretty cut and dry.
Does it have an easy 500K left in it? If the KDP has been done, absolutely. Will it let you down? If the KDP has been done, probably not. Did you get a great price on a great truck? I don't know. I'd pay 13K all day long for the truck in the description, but this does not sound like the truck in the description. I'd have to see it myself to say if this one is worth 10.5, but it doesn't sound horrible. As I implied above though, apparently values are much lower like... everywhere in the country but where I am. Regardless, this guy sounds like someone I wouldn't want to buy anything from unless I knew exactly what I was looking at and could ignore everything he claimed about it, I really wanted it, and was sure it was worth what I was paying in spite of the questionable integrity of the seller.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:17 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

I Agree Jbear ... sounds like what he was going to pay for was a unit that was a real nice truck to start with .. turns out a truck that you would toss a cage in and beat it sence less beans how its pretty trashed anyways ...

I would have said Fk it and walked away after a serois tounge lashing first .. and then prolly made fun od the guy for being a retard on top of that ... ( not that I have anythigng against mentally challenged people in general ... ok well maybe some of them ..) ...

Old 08-07-2014, 05:11 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

It doesn't sound trashed to me, I'm sure relatively speaking it's a nice truck. By relative, I mean it's pushing two decades and even though these things will go forever if you take care of them, it's still driven more miles than most people get out of a normal vehicle before moving on. There's going to be wear and tear, and the definition of "nice" changes over time if you're realistic. My truck looks like an old beater compared to any new vehicle, yet people are always telling me how pristine it is. What they mean is that they can't believe it looks as good as it does when it's 16 years old and has a third of a million miles on it, not that they actually think it's "mint" or "creampuff" or any of the other absurdly wrong descriptions I've heard about it. Just that considering what it is, it is.
I definitely wasn't trying to say that this is a bad truck or wasn't worth whatever he paid, I was only trying to say that the seller sounds like a dishonest dirtbag and that generally concerns me... and I hope that MedPhys didn't leave him feeling like he'd done well on the sale.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Diesel Fan

I probably made the condition of the truck sound worse than it actually is. I was just venting about the buying process and very dishonest/complete douche of a seller that I finally ended up buying from. It's still bothering me even though it's been almost a week. Here's hoping for some cosmic justice for the guy. I'm heading out of town today, but I might be able to get some pictures up on Sunday.
I kind of locked myself into buying this and one other vehicle (1991 Isuzu Impulse RS, 22k miles) when I told my wife this was an all or nothing deal. I never expected the description to be so wrong. I paid 10500 for it in the end, but when I explained that the condition isn't what I was told it was, he scoffed at the idea of taking any money off and said that he has another buyer lined up willing to pay more than what I paid. He made some comment about these trucks being worth $15-20k.
That being said, this is a truck that I've been looking forward to owning for some time now (maybe just not the condition I was expecting). I plan on fixing (correctly) what needs fixing, taking really good care of it and getting many good years out of it.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy '98 12v