12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

1996 12v cummins oil issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1996 12v cummins oil issue

i have just found traces of grey milky fluids in my radiator (antifreeze and oil mixing) but in the recovery tank there is black engine oil not mixed yet with the antifreeze. There is not a lot like before but anuff to worry me. what should i try to do before i tear the head off and change the head gasket. Im thinking about studing the head as well. what do you guys thing

Old 05-08-2014, 12:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I know on the side of the engine behind the injection pump there is a long rectangle gasket were there are four or five bolts have O-rings and are leaking. I was wondering since you have to remove the injection pump to replace it could that have something to do with not only a outside leak but a internal leak as well.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are referring to the Tapped cover along the drivers side of the block behind the Pump. If that is leaking yes you need to remove the pump, however that would not lead to the internal exchange of fluids. If oil and coolant are trading places, you should be looking at the head gasket for sure. Short of another internal failure (cracked water passage etc) there isn't really another reason for oil and coolant to exchange. If it is totally black oil in the overflow, are you dealing with a prankster that is trying to make you think that you have a bad HG?

Old 05-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yes tapped cover didnt know what to call it. No, i know my engine and discovered all of this myself the big issue is that i just rebuilt this engine it has 182k on it and i put a brand new head,head gasket,rebuilt my injectors,and everything i made sure the stock head bolts were torque to correct specs and that the head and block were completly flat. There is no reason for a blown head gasket idk whats wrong i baby this ******* truck

Old 05-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Did you retorque the head Boltz again after a break in period? The pure black oil in the overflow is what has me. That is why I wonder if someone is messing with you. Have you checked the oil to see if it is going both ways or just oil in the antifreeze?

Old 05-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i saw completely black oil in the recovery tank with the antifreeze and grey from it mixing in the radiator. there seems to be no water in the oil i just did a oil filter and oil change about 800 miles ago and the oil level hasn't moved at all. I am wondering about the oil cooler i did everything besides the oil cooler. The new engine has never gone over 190 degrees i know forsure because i am the only driver of it and am a gauge hawk.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

If no oil is missing and there is no sign of coolant in the oil than I have to say someone is messing with you and put oil in your rad overflow. There has to be oil missing or it has to have been replaced with coolant for it to now be appearing in the rad and overflow. Logically oil cannot be in the coolant if it has not left the engine so the oil should be low in proportion to the amount found in the rad.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

before when this happened with the old engine there was oil loss and the oil was in the coolant mabye the head gasket is starting to slowly seep idk but im going to put a new oil cooler in it and flush the system see what that does.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Good starting point

Old 05-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

did a flush no oil inside the block or radiator all most at all but i put a new oil cooler in just for the hell of it since i had one (other one wasn't leaking) let it warm up and thermostat open and there oil in it i checked my head bolts no broken ones trucks never been over heated idk whats up curse of the black beast

Quick Reply: 1996 12v cummins oil issue