12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Killer dowel pin strikes again....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Killer dowel pin strikes again....

Welp got home tonight and had my KDP fix in the package on the porch waitin on me. I had gotten an oil leak on my truck from the front of the engine so I got a new front crank seal and timing cover gasket. Got her all tore down and found a freakin crack in the timing case from the dang dowel pin.

This is all brand new territory to me, cuz I know the cam needs to be pulled. I've never messed with the cam shaft or any of those things that affect the timing of the engine. So I'm gonna learn the hard way how to do this. I've pulled engines before, I've done all kinds of mechanic work, so I am mechanically inclined. I'm pretty excited to learn new tricks of the trade. Gotta get me another timing case. Is there anything else I have to get? Is there a gasket between the block and timing case that I need to have?

Thanks ! Any advice will be appreciated!

Old 04-04-2014, 12:30 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your post is a little misleading i was expecting to see carnage, but glad your fixing it before it became a problem

Old 04-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Irish_Alley
your post is a little misleading i was expecting to see carnage, but glad your fixing it before it became a problem
Lol I'm glad there was not too much carnage. I would have posted pictures but my phone signal sucks. It's just a crack in the timing case where all the KDP carnage happens. Got the timing cover off just a few minutes ago, it's not too bad, I've heard of people jb welding these things back together. Probably gonna try that.

Attached Thumbnails Killer dowel pin strikes again....-image.jpg  
Old 04-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad that was all that it did. Same thing happened to my bros truck and he jb welded his. If you end up pulling your cover off your going to need a timing kit to reset your pump timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users liked this post:
12VALVECOUNTRYBOY (04-08-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts

I would just go ahead and pull it and weld it. Your already there might as well save an oil leak. The jb weld will hold for a little while but eventually it will start leaking. It won't expand. And shrink like the metal will.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also I forgot to mention go ahead and locktite all the timing backing plate bolts. I checked some of mine and they was loose So I pulled them and applied locktite before I put it back together.

Last edited by coors_man_2005; 04-04-2014 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-04-2014, 03:38 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Make sure you get the cam timing correct or you will seriously hate your self.... Major carnage... Might as well bump ur timing while your there ...

Do u have studs ?? If not be cautious going more than 17* of timing until you get a set of studs installed... Check e bay for good prices

Old 04-05-2014, 12:33 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts

Lots of good site sponsors here too. Mighty Diesel - Diesel Performance Parts For Cummins , Powerstroke , Duramax And More. Tony is a great guy to deal with. Wouldn't try to sell you something just to make a buck he will sell it to you cause its a good product.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by 12VALVECOUNTRYBOY
Welp got home tonight and had my KDP fix in the package on the porch waitin on me. I had gotten an oil leak on my truck from the front of the engine so I got a new front crank seal and timing cover gasket. Got her all tore down and found a freakin crack in the timing case from the dang dowel pin.

This is all brand new territory to me, cuz I know the cam needs to be pulled. I've never messed with the cam shaft or any of those things that affect the timing of the engine. So I'm gonna learn the hard way how to do this. I've pulled engines before, I've done all kinds of mechanic work, so I am mechanically inclined. I'm pretty excited to learn new tricks of the trade. Gotta get me another timing case. Is there anything else I have to get? Is there a gasket between the block and timing case that I need to have?

Thanks ! Any advice will be appreciated!
yes there is a gasket behind the timing cover you will need to replace ... also the bottom of the cover sits on the oil plan so if your pulling the timing cover try not to break the oil pan gasket when you remove the cover.

for cam timing just line the 00 and the 0 marks up. You will need to retime the injection pump as well when it goes back together

it is a good amount of work pulling the cover and putting it back on, a lot of people have jb welded it with good results

Old 04-08-2014, 08:26 PM
Diesel Fan

Sorry for the less than prompt response fellas! ive been busy, but i did get it back together last night and no leaks! I realize that jb weld isnt a permanent fix, but i really cant lose my truck for long enough right now to do all of the stuff required to change the timing case. I dont have near the knowledge either I have no clue how to use a timing kit, or how to do timing, and i cannot find any thing online that makes sense to me. Im not too stupid, im 18 years old and have turned plenty of wrenches. i just need a good video to watch if any one knows of one!

I plan on doing it right in c ouple months if it holds up that long. Thanks for all the advice yall! If anybody has a good video on how to advance timing and stuff, that would be great! thanks!