12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Damn.......Didn't make it to the Tranny shop!!!

Old 03-31-2014, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn.......Didn't make it to the Tranny shop!!!

Hi all, i knew my tranny was acting up especialy my torque converter! It was making all kinds of metal grinding,clonking and rubbin!!! Well to all folks out there with that problem...i can tell you that you won't go too far with that situation, from the first signs and noises from the TC and to the side of the road i drove about 100 km's then the TC failed completely with oil drippin underneath plus the horrible sound of destruction with the burned smell!!! At the end, i could barely move the truck. Good thing the towing was free cause i was a pretty long way from the tranny shop!!! So in 2 days, i will have my truck back with a brand new TC and tranny! but minus $$$$$$$$ in my wallet So here is my question: With the brand new tranny, at what range of time and km's should i change the tranny oil/filter and adjust the bands? I just want to make really sure cause the tranny shop can give me those info's but...........remember those guys rebuilts tranny for living so....... Also i am really glad i did that "KDP" fix this winter while the truck was parked and away. Thank you all.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Do it 20k or once a year ... Which ever is first..

Old 04-01-2014, 05:50 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I do it every 25K, and I don't mess with the bands.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by JBearSVT
I do it every 25K, and I don't mess with the bands.
Not adjusting the bands is the #1 cause of transmission failures in my shop!!! We see it all the time.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Yeah .. Agree'd .... thats the main reason for pulling the pan in the first place ..

Old 04-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the tips. Just got a call today from the tranny shop! Looks like i will have to pull even more "moula $$$" from the wallet As suspected, the flex plate was destroyed completely and so as the starter ring gear! So a brand new FLexplate and a new starter is required! (But honestly, i have my doubts about the starter???) The ring gear isn't supposed to go out on the flexplate only when activated??? I didn't even try to start the truck after the Torque Converter total destruction! Anyhow, i should have the Ram back for this week-end. (Hopefully)

Old 04-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by mysterync
Not adjusting the bands is the #1 cause of transmission failures in my shop!!! We see it all the time.

Well, I've had four trannys fail in this truck, and not one of them went because the bands weren't adjusted. The one that made it the longest was a bone stock unit that went over 100K without band adjustments, driving thousands of miles a month and towing 2-5 ton trailers several times a week for hundreds of miles. That one shifted just like new right up to the day the TC came apart.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by JBearSVT
Well, I've had four trannys fail in this truck, and not one of them went because the bands weren't adjusted. The one that made it the longest was a bone stock unit that went over 100K without band adjustments, driving thousands of miles a month and towing 2-5 ton trailers several times a week for hundreds of miles. That one shifted just like new right up to the day the TC came apart.
That's great but don't indicate to another individual that it's OK not to adjust them. That's a costly mistake. Besides the fact that the manufacturer recommends it, any transmission builder will tell you it is absolutely required.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Diesel Bomber

Actually, I've had more than one transmission builder tell me it's a complete waste of time unless it isn't shifting properly, and even then, most of the time the problem is something else. The risk of damaging it by screwing it up far exceeds the risk associated with leaving it alone. Drop the pan and change the fluid and filter according to where you fall on the maintenance schedule, and don't fix what isn't broken.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

how many dealerships tell you to adjust your transmission every other oil change? thats silly. if you have a dedicated puller or strip truck i understand. it is an adjustment that should probably be recheched after a couple cycles like head studs but not over and over again. thos bands arnt really made to wear. they work until they dont. i think you can eak out a few more miles from a tired transmission with a few adjustments.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Damn.......Didn't make it to the Tranny shop!!!