12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

airdog issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airdog issues

I have an airdog 100 under my truck, it keeps loosing prime. This started a year ago and only when my truck was at a half tank or less when I shut off the truck. I was driving 100 miles a day and no after I have finished that driving in November it has gotten progressively worse. Now after sitting overnight or 8hrs (at work) shortest time I have observed, the truck wont start. I have to turn on the pump then I loosen the fuel filter a hair, until fuel bubbles out of the top and tighten it back up. The fuel pump makes a different pitch hum, then it will fire right up. This has gotten to be a headache to say the least....... I have thought to put a sump on the tank. Would this help?? or where do I start??

Old 03-28-2014, 10:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i installed an air dog on a 2001 cummins for a friend of mine. i had installed fass products before and liked them, but he wanted an air dog, so i ordered one. Long story short- I installed the pump as the instructions said and could never get the truck primed until i filled the tank completely full. All said and done it took a month of beating my head on the wall and finally another guy found that the clamp they sent with the kit wasn't strong enough and was letting it suck air. A 25 cent clamp caused a lot of headaches and cost a lot of time and money. Also airdog's customer service was terrible.
it may be that your also has a weak clamp and when it has to draw fuel very far that it let's it suck air around this clamp and when it sets without the pump running it falls back into the tank. hope this helps you.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:45 PM
Diesel Fan

That may be one of the issues.... I have the same experience with airdog customer support .. It may be the clamp.. I don't know if I like the quick disconnect for the fuel lines..what clamp fixed the issues? I have thought about a sump for the tank..

Old 03-30-2014, 07:34 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just a regular hose clamp that you can tighten with a ratchet at the top of the fuel pickup line. the truck has ran good for a couple years since. I even replaced the quick connects on this one with hose barb fittings and clamps, but they weren't the issue. A $.25 clamp is a lot cheaper than a sump, but you have to drop the tank or raise the bed. I had to drop the tank on this truck four times because it had a camper in a dually bed. In a gravel driveway 3 times. wasn't real happy with air dog at that point.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

just so you all are aware ... ( in washington ) if a state patrol officer pulls you over and notices you have a sump on your tank ... your truck is concidered a "race" truck and race only .... and could be towed and before you can drive with out being pulled over you will have to have it state inspected ... meaning also you'll need a muffler, Cat ( or dpf,egr...etc..) then your good to go ..

messed up but i understand why ... it could get knocked off and possibly cause manny behind you to crash ... just an FYI from wahington state patrol

Old 03-30-2014, 08:52 PM
Diesel Fan

That will probably be a good idea,I might just switch them all to the barbed fitting.. and thanks for the heads up I'll look in to that in pa