12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

What tires are the best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 05:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What tires are the best?

I just put a set of Hankook M/T's on my 97 and with 3,000 miles on them the back two are already showing quiet a bit of wear! I put these on because i'd been told that they wore well, but the little tread grooves in the middle of the tread block is already gone. It's not that i've been smoking the tires or anything, the truck is still at the stock power level, but i do tow a trailer most every day. I have had this same problem on my duramax. i have run several different tires and have never had very good wear out of anything. here is a list of what i have ran and the mileage i got out of them.

cooper atr's- 9000 and down to cord.
cooper s/t-c- 12,000 and bald
maxxis buckshots-14,000 and bald
maxxis big horns- 14,000 and bald
jetzon avengers- 12,000 and bald
dean m/t's- 10,000 and 3-4/32nds left
mastercraft courser m/t's- 14,000 and bald
mastercraft courser at2 - 15,000 and 1/16 tread maybe
mastercraft courser c/t- 14,000 and bald

just wanted to see if anybody wanted to give any advice on something that might last a little longer.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Crap!! How much weight are you towing?!

Old 03-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

You may have to rotate them more often if you tow that often. I tow frequently, but not daily. When I do it's heavy. It also isn't uncommon for me to have a pallet of mortar mix (3380lbs) in the bed, a big excavator bucket, hammer attachment, etc. I always get at least 30K out of my tires. I've run the Cooper ATR's, AT3's, Mastercraft Courser AT2's, and right now I'm running Goodyear Wranglers, which so far seem to be wearing better than the others did. They definitely ride better, and grab better in the snow. Regardless, I suspect you have something out of whack or are doing something wrong to only be getting that low life out of them.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Running them at full pressure will kill the centers quick .... I hat Hankook mt's on F250 for 50k and still had tred left .... But I also only ran 50 not 80 psi ... And mine are 10 ply ... E rated .... You may want to step up to a 19.5 if your towing that heavy and that frequently. ...

Old 03-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

For weight, anywhere from the empty stock trailer, approx. 5,000 lbs, to a loaded 32 ft. dual tandem flat bed, approx. 25,000 lbs.

as far as having something out of whack, on the duramax i have rebuilt the front end once a year and get it aligned whenever i put new tires on. if i don't rotate the tires then the back will be slick and the front will still have about half tread or more. That is what it looks like is going to happen on the dodge. This is the first set on the dodge as i've only been driving it maybe 2 1/2 months and these hankooks have only been on a month and a half or so, about 3,000 miles, and the little grooves in the middle of the tread blocks are already gone off the rear tires but still deep on the fronts.

and yes i have been running them aired to 70-80 psi and they are 10-ply e-rated 285/75/16's

i do know that putting new tires on twice a year is aggravating.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:23 AM
Diesel Bomber

And expensive. I go about ten months on a set of tires before they're starting to look like racing slicks, it seems like every time I turn around someone is telling me my new tires are shot and I need new ones again. I can't imagine what it must be like for you, and six tires going down the road is a lot worse than four when it comes time for new ones.

While I'm on things I can't imagine, pulling 25K with only an exhaust doesn't sound like any fun either. I'm pretty sure I could do it as my truck sits, but I'd have to whip the living hell out of it and it has a lot more done than an exhaust. So, I probably could... but I wouldn't. Must be really different with a stick shift.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:44 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Both of these truck only have four tires on them. I have pulled that much a lot with the duramax, but day before yesterday was just the second time for the cummins. No fun at all. I made it all the way down to 3rd gear and 35 mph pulling some hills. The duramax will hold 55 and i might have down shift to fifth.That night when i got home and unhooked i went straight to the shop and slid the fuel plate and afc housing full forward. trying to get a little more and still be safe until i get gauges in it. It did make quite a bit of difference yesterday when i hauled some calves.
I rotated the tires earlier and aired them down as, 4x4 suggested, to 60 in rear and 70 in front.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

i came up with 25,000 as the top end because the trailer weighs 6450 and with 15 bales at 1200 each the weight would be about 24,450.

Last edited by six speed; 03-22-2014 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-22-2014, 04:34 PM
Diesel Bomber

I'm not sure why I thought it was a dually. Hm. Anyway, you do realize that the advertized tow capacity for that truck was like, 13K right?

Old 03-22-2014, 11:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yes, i know and the duramax was 12,something. I didn't have 2500 in my sig so i put it there. As far as handling the load the dodge does fine. It has the dana 80 hybrid rear end and overload springs. you want good trailer brakes when your pulling this though, because stopping that much weight is a chore. I pull heavy a lot more in the summer hauling hay or tractor and baler and sometimes a bulldozer that weighs 14,000. I've got a cousin who used to haul a 20,000 lb john deere backhoe behind a 3/4 ton duramax and a friend who hauls a jd 550 dozer behind a new 1-ton duramax. Probably the most i've ever seen anybody haul was 2 older john deere 4020 tractors on one trailer behind a 1-ton dodge.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

anyway, back to tires, what tires have you ran that you got good wear out of for the money?

Last edited by six speed; 03-22-2014 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-23-2014, 05:47 AM
Diesel Bomber

Towing that heavy, I don't know that there is anything that will go better for you. I don't get anywhere near the advertized mileage out of tires, but my ATR's lasted three times longer just scrubbing the wear bars off than yours did popping cords. As such, I doubt any of my experience will be helpful.

Quick Reply: What tires are the best?