12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

What tires are the best?

Old 04-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that sounds awfully good.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Well either go 19.5's or get a dulley ... Twice as much tire on the ground will wear half as fast .... Your really just putting too much on the expectation for a srw truck honestly ... But I too do understand ... Can't just go burly a good truck with good looks ... I would up a creek ,no paddles, no boat, no nadda

Old 04-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

thanks!

Old 04-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

I know ... its not what anyone wants to hear .....

Old 09-27-2015, 09:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well the hankooks lasted 14,000 miles and are just above the wear bars. I tried the Goodyear wrangler duratracs were about the same above the wear bars at 12,000 miles. I have the federal couragia m/t's on there now and they are down enough that they are rubbing in between the big outside tread lugs. I swapped in a dually rearend Saturday and am thinking of trying the cooper s/t maxx on it next. Any thoughts?

Old 10-02-2015, 08:05 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Awesome tire. Great in the snow, little bit noisy. No idea on mileage, but I know they need to be rotated religiously or they wear like crap in no time. That all having been said, in the time it takes you to blow through tires, it probably doesn't matter.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

That's true. When I called the tire guy in town and wanted him to check on the price for them he said " what for your only going to get 10-14 thousand miles out of them anyway."

Old 10-04-2015, 07:25 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm not sure that there's a ten ply tire out there that's going to make a difference for you.

I'm just going to say up front that I don't actually know what I'm talking about with this suggestion, so it may be reeeeally stupid. Either way it's a significant investment- but you may want to look into 19.5 wheels. This will allow you to run load F or G rated tires. You'll have to shop carefully because they aren't all created equal, and the compromises may not be worth the benefits if you don't get the right one, but we're really skating out of my park of familiarity now. The cost of entry, if you don't find a deal somewhere, is outrageous. That said, there are deals to be had, and it doesn't sound like this is your DD so there may not be any compromise for you at all if all the truck does is pull hay around. You may be able to double your mileage. I don't know, but it might be worth looking into. I'm not recommending this particular package, as I know the price is just silly, but it may be a good place to start your research:

Rickson 19.5" wheels and tires

Old 10-05-2015, 06:56 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

It's not a silly idea, I have actually looked into it. After having drove an f-450 with the 19.5's I'm not as interested as I was. It chased every seam in the road and the first set that the my friend had on only lasted about 40,000 miles anyway. It also doesn't do well in the mud. This is my daily driver, but I pull most days with it. It's hooked to the stock trailer now and will be most of the week. I am going to put duals on it shortly though. I swapped in a dually rearend last Saturday after the Dana 80 hybrid messed up. I didn't know that you had to raise each side up so the oil would run out to the bearings. It was running out of the end of the tube when I was working on it but apparently was not sufficient to lube the new bearing. It lasted about 30 miles.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Dura-Tracs are my tires of choice. Buddy had them on his welding truck and got almost 100k miles out of them. I've got 40k on mine and they still look new. I don't do a lot of hauling and I don't run them at max psi.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What tires are the best?