12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

holding the pedal...

Old 04-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by David A Cunningham
ok another update, i tried the blue locktite, no avail the screw isnt backing off, i took it over to stateline diesel in edwardsburg mi to have them check it out, they replaced the overflow valve, sending unit, and reset the timing on the pump, but now when it idles right it now ildes at 1250, but goes up and down, could this be a govenor spring issue below is a video of what it does.

note im not making the truck idle up and down, im only tapping the fuel to show it stalling
Had a truck do that a few years back. Customer had tried washers instead of a gsk kit and in the process bent the studs for the governor spring retainers. Acted identically.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-19-2014, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to agree with manonbroke, lefty loose will screw out bolt and increase idle. A touch of loc tite BLUE will keep it there with the lock nut snug!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

a touch of loc tite blue & jamnut will hold it till you adjust it the next time!
sorry bout the repeat, did'nt scrol down far enough

Last edited by rdsutton; 04-19-2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-19-2014, 09:17 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mysterync
Had a truck do that a few years back. Customer had tried washers instead of a gsk kit and in the process bent the studs for the governor spring retainers. Acted identically.

would it be worthwhile to change out the gov springs? they want upwards of 2000 to rebuild the pump.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:34 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I think they just want to rebuild a pump and get paid.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by JBearSVT
I think they just want to rebuild a pump and get paid.
ill agree on that i just spent 1200, getting the other work done there

Old 04-19-2014, 09:42 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I can't believe they did $1200 worth of work and gave it back to you running that way.
Sounds like the kind of bullshit I expect from a stealership.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:54 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

I wouldn't have the pump rebuilt. I'd do some exploratory surgery and check the governor assembly. It may require pump work (the issue your experiencing is definitely an internal pump issue). But don't think I'd let a shop that charged you that much without providing results do the work. A couple hours or so wouldn't surprise me but 1200 and worse than it came in...no thanks.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Diesel Fan

Diesel Injection Service, the 2000 was going to be put on top of the 1200, i told them exactly what was happening when i took it in. kinda irked me to get it back this way considering that they said it would be fixed for 1300, but what kinda bugs me is dont you have to take the pump off the truck to set the timing? shouldn't they have checked everything out then?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by mysterync
I wouldn't have the pump rebuilt. I'd do some exploratory surgery and check the governor assembly. It may require pump work (the issue your experiencing is definitely an internal pump issue). But don't think I'd let a shop that charged you that much without providing results do the work. A couple hours or so wouldn't surprise me but 1200 and worse than it came in...no thanks.

it is running better than when it went in, but still stalling, i will say going down the road at any speed feels better than before, it would just be nice if i didnt have to double pedal the damn thing

Last edited by David A Cunningham; 04-19-2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

I can't say if they charged fairly because I don't know what they actually did. I know if I'm talking to a customer that I'll indicate "this is part of your problem? It may not be all of it". I actually loose some customers doing so but we can't know it all and get it right every time!
The pump is timed on the truck. To know what's really going on it would need to go on the bench. By checking the governor and idle springs you can gain direction but it still may require a bench run. has anyone messed with the governors?

Old 04-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Diesel Fan

no the only part of the pump that has been touched is the afc and fuel plate

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: holding the pedal...