12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Fuel problem 12 valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel problem 12 valve

I took some red diesel out of a generator and put it in my truck, on the way home I got on the high way and my truck wouldn't go over 65 and when I would mash on the gas it would blow a little bit of white smoke and go no where, I drove it home and I though maybe the fuel I put in it was bad so I drained all the fuel I could get out an then I put 5 gallons from the store in it, then I changed the fuel filter , got in it and drove it about 10 miles to see if it would get any better and still the same problem, it idles fine just when I try to drive it starts to sputter and blow white smoke, I can drive it to the store with no problems but as soon as I try to get on it she starts to sputter and blow white smoke please help😤

Old 03-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty/James
I took some red diesel out of a generator and put it in my truck, on the way home I got on the high way and my truck wouldn't go over 65 and when I would mash on the gas it would blow a little bit of white smoke and go no where, I drove it home and I though maybe the fuel I put in it was bad so I drained all the fuel I could get out an then I put 5 gallons from the store in it, then I changed the fuel filter , got in it and drove it about 10 miles to see if it would get any better and still the same problem, it idles fine just when I try to drive it starts to sputter and blow white smoke, I can drive it to the store with no problems but as soon as I try to get on it she starts to sputter and blow white smoke please help😤
Sounds like low fuel pressure to IP.Throw a gauge on it and see what kinda fuel pressure you are getting.Could be bad lift pump,dirty pre-filter,or bad overflow valve,but check pressure first

Old 03-02-2014, 12:08 PM

How much pressure should I be getting and if it is the right amount of pressure what would it be

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

And how would I go about putting a gauge on it

Last edited by Dusty/James; 03-02-2014 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-02-2014, 12:49 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

you will need another banjo fitting with 1/8 npt threads cut into its oyou can put a gauge one it. you should see 20ish idling and 35ish reving it up. it will bounch like hell because of the pressure waves from the mechanical lift pump. to me it sounds like your timing could have slipped a bit. if it were bad fuel it would have ran like hell in all RPM ranges not just under load.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by turbo2332
you will need another banjo fitting with 1/8 npt threads cut into its oyou can put a gauge one it. you should see 20ish idling and 35ish reving it up. it will bounch like hell because of the pressure waves from the mechanical lift pump. to me it sounds like your timing could have slipped a bit. if it were bad fuel it would have ran like hell in all RPM ranges not just under load.

Would it be the timiming on the lift pump or the timiming chain and how would I check to see if it was the timiming that slipped? Sorry for not knowing I just wanna know the price range that's it's going to cost if I take it in to get fixed

Old 03-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't have much productive to add here, beyond that it wasn't the red fuel. That red is just a dye, and burning it will never cause you one single problem unless you get caught by the DOT. It's only there to tell Big Brother that you didn't pay road tax on your fuel, and it will only tell him if he looks.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Injector pump timing and they don't have timing chains everything is gear driven

Old 03-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could this not be a simple air/fuel leak?
If the IP is drawing air or air/fuel mix things will not run proper.
I agree; you need a fuel pressure gauge.
But there is a cheap diagnosis. Pressurize fuel tank with 5-10 lbs regulated air pressure & look for any bubbles.
That may be the best starting point.
It could be any one of the rubber lines that have corroded, I had the primer bubble crack and draw air... it could even possibly be a faulty seal on your fuel filter. The point is spend some time with her and eliminate components. Tis cheaper than paying a shop.
DD

Old 03-03-2014, 05:24 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

air leaks @ idle would cause it to run like hell intermittently stall out and then be very hard to restart.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:52 PM

So if the lift pump was going on would it even idel or be able to drive around it town with no problems?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by Diesel Duo
Could this not be a simple air/fuel leak?
If the IP is drawing air or air/fuel mix things will not run proper.
I agree; you need a fuel pressure gauge.
But there is a cheap diagnosis. Pressurize fuel tank with 5-10 lbs regulated air pressure & look for any bubbles.
That may be the best starting point.
It could be any one of the rubber lines that have corroded, I had the primer bubble crack and draw air... it could even possibly be a faulty seal on your fuel filter. The point is spend some time with her and eliminate components. Tis cheaper than paying a shop.
DD
What tool do I need to pressurize the fuel tank

Last edited by Dusty/James; 03-03-2014 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Fuel problem 12 valve