12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

98 12valve build. ideas? advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 98 12valve build. ideas? advice?

so my uncle wants to build up a 98 12valve. its a single cab short box dually. he wants a big lift big wheels big power. basically a show truck. a good project for the 2 of us to work on. I own a 24 valve and don't know near as much about the 12valves. so suggestions and tips for engine performance would be appreciated, as well as any other tips or ideas about a build like this in general . again this thing is going to be a pavement princes, not really my style, but hey thats what my uncle wants and its his money.

thanks guys

Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Stick or auto?

Old 01-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Diesel Fan

its a stick.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

... get an auto .. then u can actually do a burn out for the contests @ truck shows

Old 01-04-2014, 07:54 AM
Diesel Bomber

My experience has been the exact opposite. Every stick I've been in would spin the tires at will even bone stock, the autos need the fuel maxed and the slushbox tightened up and you're still waiting for wet roads to have any fun without beating the **** out of them.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

In response to your answer to my question though, that it's a stick means instead of throwing money at the transmission so it will hold the power, you can spend it on other things. With a pavement princess, the most you'll ever probably need to do to the trans is is a beefier clutch, which you won't have to worry about until this one starts slipping. With big tires, that probably depends on how he treats it, but when it goes, upgrade.

So now you can focus on power, and on the 12V it's mostly cheap. Depending on how mechanical you guys are, (and what you consider big power) they may well be free. You can nearly double the stock power with just elbow grease doing basic pump mods, which there's a lot of reading available about here. Double the stock power is a lot of power, especially with a standard. Intake, exhaust and governor springs and you'll be taking full advantage of the free mods for anywhere from a couple hundred bucks to a grand or more, depending on how elaborate you go with intake/exhaust parts. With a show truck, I suppose it could really get pricy, but if that's all you spend on power, not bad at all.

If you want huge power, it's going to take significant money, but a fraction of what it would take building say... an old Fox body Mustang to those levels. Or any gas motor that came with the same power as a stock 12V for that matter. Anyway, huge power means upgraded turbos, injectors, valve springs and head studs (at least), and some educated pump tuning. And if he ever wants to have any fun with all that power, it's going to snap that 5spd like a twig. It would grenade anything but a seriously built auto too; be aware either way that dumping the clutch means carnage, so budget for it if driving it in anger is a possibility.

A few things you didn't ask about, and as a Cummins guy you probably know, but they're worth throwing out there just in case: is the KDP taken care of? Best be sure, and it's a good time to clean the front of the engine up, stop or prevent some leaks, and bump the pump timing if he wants to. More of a mpg mod, but it's the perfect time either way. If he's ever going to drive it at all, spend some money on the front end too. The 98 has a better front end than the older trucks, but with big tires there's still going to be significant steering issues, probably the death wobble. He can spend a lot of money here, but luckily, most of this stuff looks good on lifted show trucks. Big adjustable track bar, a Borgenson upgraded steering box, a box brace which will have to be modded to fit the box, double steering dampers, Luke's Links. Then again, if all it does is get driven on and off a trailer, it doesn't really matter.

Last edited by JBearSVT; 01-04-2014 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Regular cab short box dually Didn't know they made such a thing, any pics ?

Old 01-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Diesel Bomber

I don't think they did, but they aren't hard to make. A guy I work with has one he built.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

yes they made single cab dulley 4x4's .. have seen many here in Washington .. When I worked for Larson jeep/dodge I drove a few ... srw and dulley's

Old 01-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 4x4manonbroke
yes they made single cab dulley 4x4's .. have seen many here in Washington .. When I worked for Larson jeep/dodge I drove a few ... srw and dulley's
I bet you never saw a short bed dually!!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:11 AM
Diesel Bomber

I have. It was badass. 2wd, but still badass.

Quick Reply: 98 12valve build. ideas? advice?