12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

timing-puller question/engine rotation to advance timing.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 12:57 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing-puller question/engine rotation to advance timing.

Ok so really I have two questions. What are the exact specs on the timing gear puller and bolts. I've seen one thread stating M8X1.25 but was stated as a "I think it might be" on the 40 min timing the guy states 13mm. Going to go to Oriely or Napa to get one and just wanna make sure i get the right one. Now the 40 min timing video also states when the gear is popped off you rotate the engine clockwise on the harmonic balance to advance. But I've read a few posts stating."If you roll the engine forward, it will retard the timing." does roll forward mean Counterclockwise? My truck has slipped to about 10-11 degrees, and I need to make sure I'm not retarding it even more. If i am using the alternator I would turn which way while the gear is disengaged to advance. Thanks! Sorry if this is an already asked question I just see to many posts on timing and a lot of confusion.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Maybe it is just me!

Last edited by mattshow123; 11-24-2013 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-24-2013, 07:34 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

if you use the alternator the engine is turning backwards. pin time the engine and pump. knock the gear off and rotate the engine just a fuzz CC tighten the pump nut back up then roll the ENGINE back over to TDC look into the pump timing hole and the timing pin needs to be visible but towards the top of the hole. this will get you in the 16-20* area.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by mattshow123
Ok so really I have two questions. What are the exact specs on the timing gear puller and bolts. I've seen one thread stating M8X1.25 but was stated as a "I think it might be" on the 40 min timing the guy states 13mm. Going to go to Oriely or Napa to get one and just wanna make sure i get the right one. Now the 40 min timing video also states when the gear is popped off you rotate the engine clockwise on the harmonic balance to advance. But I've read a few posts stating."If you roll the engine forward, it will retard the timing." does roll forward mean Counterclockwise? My truck has slipped to about 10-11 degrees, and I need to make sure I'm not retarding it even more. If i am using the alternator I would turn which way while the gear is disengaged to advance. Thanks! Sorry if this is an already asked question I just see to many posts on timing and a lot of confusion.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Maybe it is just me!
If its slipped you only have 2 options.
1: use the timing pin
2: use a dial indicator or drip method.
Omce its off there is NO way to determine where you are. You'll just make a mess of things trying to eyeball it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

I would pin it ....

rotate engine until the pump pin goes in ... then pull the pump loose form the timineg gear , rotate engine back to TDC.. make sure the taper between the gear and the pump ios DRY ... I had mine slip as well ... tighten it up and I learned not to " gently " tighten it up ... if you have an impact gun ... dont use it ... you will strip the pump out ...

get it close to tight and then reef it down real fast and then go ahead and torque it in place .... it helps seat the pump faster on the gear and such .... dont ask how .. it just works ..